Anti matter material? or Holes from another part

Phenom
Phenom

I have a common situation I'm wondering if any have found a path of less resitance.

Note: This question is in context of ordered sheet metal. Attached is two screen shots w/ a very simple example.

I would like the holes required to mount many parts to travel (be stored) w/ the items to be bolted.

The problem is I can't add a hole to nothing. I wish there was a material called Anti matter that would be a modled part but it would subtract it's self from whatever it comes in contact with. Thereby adding holes when the item is placed on a sheet metal part. 

Right now I have to go find out the hole pattern, then add that pattern to the sheet metal, then check it by mating the two parts together. Is there any way to have mounting holes go for a ride with the part that requires the holes?

The goal is to have holes added to a sheet metal part as the result of another part being placed.

26 REPLIES

Re: Anti matter material? or Holes from another part

Genius
Genius

Could you have those sketches on your parts that you want to use, and when you add those parts to your assembly, you can add cutouts from a sketch, and use peers to just select the sketch of the part added?

Phenom
Phenom

Every item I want holes for has oversized holes or slots. I need to specify the pattern manually. I would like to keep the hole patterns w/ each item the holes are for. But there is  no easy way to do that.

Your thought does bring up a method that could save a bit of time. I could create a sketch w/ each item the holes are for then transfer from one sketch to another. But in general, this is the kind of process I'm trying to avoid.

I'm basically looking for a fast way to transfer holes from one item to another. Even if I could, the place I want to tranfer them from does not have material to have a place holder for the holes. 

Phenom
Phenom
Did you try the "System library" yet ?

I am sure it can create features over parts while placing other parts.

Phenom
Phenom

What is the "System library" ?

I'm looking for holes to be created as a result of placing other items.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @12GAGE

this is one of the things a "System Library" can do for You!

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

12GAGE wrote:

What is the "System library" ?

I'm looking for holes to be created as a result of placing other items.

Not just holes, any kind of features can be created, I just made a quick video about it.

(view in My Videos)

Phenom
Phenom

Perhaps this is a language thing. You are talking about the "Parts Library" ?

I did not think it did anything different than just bringing in part from explorer, so I never dug into it.

I never have  time to learn new things unless the payback is less then a few days or hours. I'm under pressure to deliver about 50 pages of drawings a day. I'm always trying to figure out....how do I get that into productions hands in an hour.

Creator
Creator

No Language issue, he is referring to https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help#uid:index_xid618399:xid464417:xid489893 a very short tutorial that explains how this works.

Genius
Genius

That's pretty slick! I've seen where features were created to add to parts, but I've never seen where you could add a hardware assembly, and it would create the needed holes.