Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Anti matter material? or Holes from another part

Phenom
Phenom

@Grundey wrote:

Now if placed System Library features could be associative to the stored library component's features so that if they were ever updated...

What if the holes in the original part are generated by 'pattern by table' ?

Can the hole pattern still be included?

Are the library components features still associative to the table?

When placed, are the new features associative to the table?

I can't try any of this as I'm stll on ST7 Smiley Sad

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@beachcomber wrote:

I can't try any of this as I'm stll on ST7 Smiley Sad

System library was introduced in Solid Edge 14

http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/solid-edge/solid-edge-introduces-systems-library-9813

Phenom
Phenom

@Fiorini wrote:

System library was introduced in Solid Edge 14

http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/solid-edge/solid-edge-introduces-systems-library-9813

I was refering to the Pattern by Table command - that may have been ST8, I'm not sure ;-)

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Legend
Legend

"Right now I have to go find out the hole pattern, then add that pattern to the sheet metal, then check it by mating the two parts together."

Hmm, so then you have no reason that you can't mate the parts, link the holes to the hardware, break the links, and dimension the holes.

Also, whenever possible, I'd keep those holes and suppress to make the version without the holes. Then when you use Revision Manager to create a similar part, that pattern is already in the part.

Legend
Legend

This problem is solved in the synchronous environment.

If the target part was a synchronous part, you could select one or more faces and do a - extrude (cut) and you would have the holes...after that you could recognize the holes and patterns that you have brought into that part... once finished designing you could convert to sheetmetal and flatten it.

This is why we start our sheetmetal parts in the synchronous part environment, and convert them once we have all the holes incorporated.

This functionality is missing from sheetmetal at the moment, would be wunderful if this became available in sheetmetal soon.

I have asked Dan Vinson a week or two ago if he knew a workaround... to get this accomplished.. but did not get feedback so far.

Kind regards,

Jan Bos
Emmen, The Netherlands
User since V3.5 beta testing ST10

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I use ordered sheet metal for 80% of my modeling work. Sync does not re-gauge correctly when the sheet get thicker and Sync gives no direct flat pattern control. So it it does not work on ordered sheet metal, it does not help.

I start most of my sheet metal w/ relation from planes. I would lose that if Sync is used for any step.

Phenom
Phenom

@12GAGE That looks more like a configuration issue than a hole issue. What I see is an assy with a pattern of components. You are looking for the hole pattern in the base part.

What if we went a totally different route and used suppression by expression functionality? Using If then to control showing or not showing the holes in the part.

Here you seed template part would have variables/expressions that control the pattern size and count. Then you would have a variable/expression that turns on the feature. Flip the on/off variable and the pattern and pattern array show up.

Does that make sense?

Or I can say what you are looking for is a function we called component first in NX. You have the ability to create assemblies and then have the cylinder (your anti-matter) as the Boolean operation. I don't think this is in standard NX but I'm pretty sure it is in NX MOld Wizard tool. I was impressed to see video and then the comments saying the system library has been there for awhile.

If any of the VARs are reading..get to know this tool and blow SW out of the water..just hurry up about it! ;-)