Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any old Solidworks users here?

Experimenter
Experimenter

We are a Solidworks user for 10 years. All of those 10 years have entailed crashing. Some years are worse than others. The VAR's (Value Added REsellers) are excellent in support but offer about 40 different solutions, none of them effective. Solidworks corporate is deaf on the issue with lip service but no real action.

In fact there is a Solidworks Forum post that has 308 replys (currently) about protesting Solidworks at SolidWorks World and asking that they fix crashes and stability.

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/200235

My questions are as follows:

1) Any customers that went from Solidworks -> SolidEdge out there? If so...

How many seats?

How did it go?

Stability and crashes - please compare SW to SE.

How did the transition go?

2) Bottom line...is SolideEdge more stable (less crashes)?

12 REPLIES

Re: Any old Solidworks users here?

Hello Eric,

I'm not an ex-Solidworks user but just curious. How often does Solidworks crash per user per week (or day)?

Regards,

Theodore

Kind regards,
Theodore Turner

Genius
Genius

I have moved over to Solid Edge after getting my CSWP last year. I was setting up as a freelance design engineer & thought long and hard about which package to go for. Decided on Solid Edge as it has excellent compatibility with Solidworks & heard it was a better program in many ways (e.g. large assembly performance & sync). In the end I was lucky enough to get accepted on the Solid Edge for Startups programme, but I had my mind made up before this.

1. Just a single seat.

2. I struggled starting out (I still have a lot to learn), but once I got to the stage where I could do synchronous edits at assembly level, I could see it is a far more powerful program. The transition would probably be easier if you stick with history based modelling, but I think you would be missing out on the real power of Solid Edge.

3. In my experience Solid Edge has been more stable. It still crashes on occasion, could be down to my system, very difficult to tell.

4. Assembly performance is far better than I remember it in Solidworks 2016.

Siemens are making genuine improvements to the program every year.

If you decide to move over I would suggest that you research your VAR. A good VAR will make the transition far smoother. Something like remote desktop support is essential in my opinion.

The forum here is a great resource too Smiley Happy

Solid Edge 2019 MP2 - Windows 10 - K2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

It really varies. Sometimes 6-7 a day, sometimes a week goes by. There
seems to be no predicting it. The worst thing is that when it is crashing
on me it is usually with a basic command like file load or save or fillet
an edge.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for all that.

Siemens are making genuine improvements to the program every year.

How so?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Eric_Snyder wrote:
It really varies. Sometimes 6-7 a day, sometimes a week goes by. There
seems to be no predicting it. The worst thing is that when it is crashing
on me it is usually with a basic command like file load or save or fillet
an edge.

OMG Robot surprised .....yeah, that many crashes is an issue alright. Even weekly.

For another forum post, I recently looked back for the last crash log emailed to Siemens, and it was just on 6 months ago....and I'm using it full time, and probably stretching my Surface Pro3 beyond it's design capacity. But it still gets the jobs done.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I just went a few weeks without a crash at all for the first time ever using any 3D software except imageware on unix.......that program was solid.

Every time they add new features to the software, they appear to get new bugs that take a few MP to work out. 

I have not gotten to the point of Autodesk products where it's common to be set up and tested for year before implimented. 

With SE, I wait until the second MP comes out before I upgrade to the next ST, that way if there is a work stoping problem, I at least have two other versions to try and keep things moving. This is VERY VERY important because there is no way to save files back to older versions and no way to open new version in old software. So each upgrade is a HUGE risk as a result.

To be fair, most of my crashes happen from editing the gage table. I don't know why, but if I edit my gage table, when I am editing gages, everything tends to crash for a while.

In general, for sheet metal SE blow SW out of the water.

For parts, it's about the same

For assemplies, adjustable assemblies, and stuff like that, SW is better

For drafting SE is better than SW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have been using SW for 4 years after comming from Unigraphics and NX that I started using in 1986.

The software crashing is a big issue, in that any loss of work is not acceptiable in my view. I have started a log of my guys and their crashing and how much time they/I lose.

These crashes I recall Siemens addressed way back when they 1st ported NX from UNIX over to windows. They had a few bad releases but got it sorted In my view real quick, and that was a program that was developed in FOTRAN to start with. I am afraid I DO NOT see the same commitment from the SW folks of addressing these issues, and that product is a windows based program from the inception.

The SW forums are a ghost town, and you NEVER find a developer there. By contrast I have posted 2 questions here in the last week and both have had development, if not answers, then at least viewed.

I only have a single SE license at the moment and I am using Teamcenter with NX, SE, SW, and Catia 5.

I am very happy at the moment that I can add SW assemblies to SE assemblies and produce drawings and exploded views etc. and I haven't had a single crash.

Experimenter
Experimenter

@TonyC99 wrote:

The SW forums are a ghost town, and you NEVER find a developer there. By contrast I have posted 2 questions here in the last week and both have had development, if not answers, then at least viewed.

I usually get fairly good answers from my typical questions at the SW forums. By developer do you mean SolidWorks developer or user/programmer using SW's api?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes the SolidWORKS developers you never see anymore.

I understand they used to be on all the time. So it is unfortunate that they have stopped contrubiting.

I agree the users that are still there are helpfull, I didn't mean to go off at them by any means. Smiley Happy