Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Any way to set automatic template for a specific file type?

Legend
Legend

So I need to open numerous .dxf files, and asking if there is a way that instead of picking each file to be opened by a draft template, that it does this automatically with all .dxf files?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Any way to set automatic template for a specific file type?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Trikefreak,

Does this forum topic help towards your goal?  Have you associated the DXF file extension to Solid Edge [Edge.exe]?

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/solid-edge-forum...

[so theoretically, multi-select  DXF's & press enter = all files opened in one instance of SE]

EDIT: I say "theoretically", as I have not made this registry modification myself.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Betreff: Any way to set automatic template for a specific file type?

Hi @Trikefreak

besides that what was suggested by @SeanCresswell so far, You can use the BatchJob utitlity from the Custom macros folder

With that You can select a group of DXF files and convert them in one task.

20171011_0815.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Trikefreak wrote:

So I need to open numerous .dxf files, and asking if there is a way that instead of picking each file to be opened by a draft template, that it does this automatically with all .dxf files?

I occasionally open my flattened files to check the .DXF before sending off to laser..  Sometimes after a new install or update I've had the issue where you need to select the .dft template every instance, what seemed to correct this for me was clicking on the options tab and advancing thru the open options, I'm doubting i changes any options (can't remember) but it seemed after this to work as you'd like- select any amount of .dxf files, open, and they'd all use a .dft file without selecting that for each one.

-Craig

@Craig_H, is this the DXF file opening "Option" you are thinking of?

ST10_DFT_FileOpenDXF_Options_SetToDraftTemplate.PNG

Just be aware, if the registry mod is not done, the user will open a new instance of Solid Edge for every one of the files selected.

Sean Cresswell

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@SeanCresswell wrote:

@Craig_H, is this the DXF file opening "Option" you are thinking of?

Just be aware, if the registry mod is not done, the user will open a new instance of Solid Edge for every one of the files selected.

yes, I've never done any registry mods though.  I did also assume we're opening them from Solid Edge not windows explorer.

-Craig

@Craig_H wrote:

I did also assume we're opening them from Solid Edge not windows explorer.

Yes, the SE way works fine......and it was me that assumed a Windows Explorer work flow. Robot Embarassed

Sean Cresswell

Legend
Legend
I will look through options next time, and see if there's something that helps open dxf files automatic with chosen template.

I already have set windows to recognize .dxf files open with SE, but I still have to choose template to open with.