Anyone export PMI for sending paperless drawings to a build shop?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I work on prototype machines and would like to create a series of views with PMI text to define the larger weldments and assemblies that are very slow to generate views for in draft (think 1000's of parts) - messy big E size drawings.

We checked with our vender and they suggested to export it to JT then view with JT2Go.  Sort of works but the fonts/colors all change and more importantly the views are not holding the zoom so it's really common to cut off PMI annotation - not acceptable as they will miss important info if you have to pan around on every page.  If I could only get the "review mode" of PMI out of solid edge and into something as simple as a pdf where you could hit next, next, next to move through the work instructions it would be quite useful to the shop.   Ideally I would like to see a revision block and storyboard for more complete rev control in the shop - with the added benefit to view/measure the 3D models.  Often now they end up opening the SE model with the viewer plus have these big prints on the go.

Perhaps we are the only ones trying to use PMI for this use?  Or have others found a way to make the PMI work?

3 REPLIES

Re: Anyone export PMI for sending paperless drawings to a build shop?

Phenom
Phenom

I have only used a few PMI dims actually displayed in draft, however I do use PMI to generate variables (cut lengths) that are displayed in the parts list.

I think will end up with named views in the model each with a specific set of PMI's on. Then when you display that in draft, use the Named view to display what you are seeing in draft.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Sorry to say, but to get PMI to work, the best solution I found is 3D PDF, but created by specialty software like Anark.  It's expensive!

Builder
Builder

While not friendly, I save each view to a PDF and consolidate them in Acrobat.