Anyone have a checklist of things they do when installing a new version?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have been asked for a list of items that we need to address when switching to a newer version of Solid Edge.  Not looking for stuff on the install itself, more of the preferences, supporting documents (hole data), etc. Just looking for feedback.  We are looking at going from ST5 to ST7.  I have already tested ST7 offline from the standard system, and found a few of the improvements to be useful.  I already have our hole information translated for the switch so I have a jumpstart.

Thanks for any input!!!

10 REPLIES

Re: Anyone have a checklist of things they do when installing a new version?

Phenom
Phenom

This may not be complete for you, as I only use the fundimental version:

I make sure I copy out the following when upgrading, then manually put these files back into the new install:

1. Gage table

2. all defined cross sections under Frames

3. The hole files (you already mentioned)

4. Any "Template" files you have modified, typically one of each file type: Draft, Sheet, Part, Assembly. In my case, I have a few additional sheet files with specific gages and materials all ready set up.

5. An important one for me is all of the annotation call outs, parts lists formats, and hole table formats.

Don't have much time so I'm sorry this is not in specific file format.

Ally PLM sent me a document exactly about this process. If they are you provider, they already have a pre-packed email for this purpose.

Phenom
Phenom

All our templates, options, parts list settings, hole tables etc are on our server.

For upgrading from ST7 to ST8 we will copy these into a new folder.

We also have a macro that steps us through the install routine - all settings are held in a text file which is selected as the first step. A list of user-names is also in this text file.

Standard customisations are applied during this set-up but users then recall their own from previous version if they have any.

After installing SE and the MP we just select the appropriate user name from the box and hit the Copy buttons.

We use floating licenses so something else we do is to 'split' our license file into 2 separate ones - one for classic, one for premium. We found that, by default, SE checks out Premium first, then when they are gone, checks out Classic. This caused problems because the users who got in first got the Premiums, whether they wanted them or not.

Again I wrote a macro that just copies the appropriate license from the server to the local drive,

so you can select which you need. You don't have to run it every time - just when you want to change the license type.

Personally I would like to see this built-in to SE, so that if you are using floating licenses it just goes and gets an additional one for XPresRoute when you need it, then releases it when you close XPresRoute.

This is the form we use for installation -

InstallSE.JPG

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Phenom
Phenom

nbott,

I just noticed you are going from ST5 to ST7

I don't know your set up, but all our CAD files are stored on a server, so we are  working across a network, and as I said previously all our settings are on the server.

One problem we had after installing ST7 was with SE crashing/hanging at certain times.

We found this to be due to having a networked Options.xml file.

In Solid Edge Options > File Locations we first set the Solid Edge Admin file to the one on the server. This sets all our default, server-based file locations. We then have to reset this to the default location.

Since doing this we haven't had any problems.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator
Hello beachcomber
We have a customer that had the exact same problems and we "resolved" it the exact same way after a long long search. We never knew what was the reason for that.
This solution is for me only temporary. I suppose you didn't find anything more on this issue ? We have other customers with options.xml on the network (you have to put it on the network...) and they don't have any issue.

As for the question of this topics, we have some pdf guides to help our customers knowing where all different parameters are stored (this is not easy !) and what is the usual procedure to keep them, but it is in french...
Nicolas Bernard, Application Engineer, Solid Edge French Resseller

Phenom
Phenom

nbernard,

The issue was raised with our VAR and "has now gone to PR with a priority code of Serious".

We also found that the network options file gave us a problem with pathfinder retaining settings to show properties.

Could anyone using ST8 confirm if these problems still exist ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Try deleting the local “C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST7\preferences\options.xml” file first, then set the user settings to point to the networked options.xml file.

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks for that tip Dave.

We seem to have solved the problem now anyway so I'm not tinkering with it again.

If I'm right, the settings seem to get copied to the local one from the network, so all our file location settings are correct.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Correct, and that merging of the network options.xml into the existing local options.xml is what seems to fubar the system, which is why deleting the local options.xml file before specifying the networked options.xml location has worked for my other customers.

Phenom
Phenom

ALLY PLM supplied this for me. I bet this is what most on this thread are looking for.