Applying Custom Hatching to a Part in an Assembly Draft

Experimenter
Experimenter

This seems to be something not covered by the current documentation, or anywhere in the community. What I need to do is change the hatch style of a few parts in an assembly's draft. Conversion to 2D view is not an option, since the draft needs to be updated in the future, and the fill command seems to not like complex curves on a live view. So, the procedure I need to use seems to be (starting with the draft file open):

-Open the assembly

-Open the part

-Create a custom hatch style, apply it to the database to use later

-Create a fill style using the custom hatch style, save the fill style to the database

-Create a custom material with the fill style

-Assign the material to the part

-Go back and wait to update the drawing view

This is not a trivial task, and cannot be completed quickly while a client is in the room reviewing the draft files. Is there any option to override the hatch style of one part in an assembly at the level of a drawing view? If not there should be a hatch style/material override tool in the drafting package, where, using a selection mode a user can select one part within a cut section to modify at the level of the drawing. Similar to the face override in the assembly view. As it stands now, there is almost no quick flexibility for hatching/fill styles for a single part in an assebly drawing.

Of course, if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, I'd love to know a faster way to move forward!

3 REPLIES

Re: Applying Custom Hatching to a Part in an Assembly Draft

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Can't you turn off "derive from part" in the view/display properties? Then all existing hatch styles in the draft are available in the dropdown.

hatch display.JPG

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

Wow. Thanks.

I knew there had to be a way. Now I'm off to make a bunch of custom hatches!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So you must need more than what comes with the draft template.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200