Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying a partial length welding.

Legend
Legend

Guys (and for those women out here)…

I’m seeking a bit of help on how to get a weldment efficiently in an ASM.

If you look at image 01 and image 02, you see a simple (sample) frame in either non welded state and in fully welded state.

In image 3, you see the weld between the bottom frame plate and the web plate removed. These weld should be applied between bottom frame plate and web plate for ~3/2 of the given length. A sketch on how this should be can be seen in image 04.

So my question is for any suggestion on how to get these weld in the 3D ASM.

Applying a fillet weld will not do, as this will weld the full length.

Applying a split in the required surfaces is an option, but not a desired thing as this would result in ghost lines exported to DXF as a result of the flat pattern creation.

Using a stich weld is not really an option as it depends on to many factors to be calculated….

Any thoughts on this one…?

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@quayquip.com
www.quayquip.com
6 REPLIES

Re: Applying a partial length welding.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Could you not use the Part Weldments commands to create the weld as a separate part and use Part commands to trim the weld back.

Once you have one weld created then you could use the Duplicate Component command to quickly place the like welds.

Phenom
Phenom

@marcboom I would apply fillet welds as needed using mirrors and patterns to reduce the effort if the welding layout permits this. Then use the stitch command and apply offsets and/or stitches to obtain the weld layout you need. I think you can apply the same stitch pattern to multiple welds in one shot but I have not used that command for a while and I am working from memory.

HTH,

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Betreff: Applying a partial length welding.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @marcboom

just tried to rebuild Your situation and for me the standrad fillet weldment with stitched weld works pretty fine

See picture:

20171103_1026.PNG

Just using Offsets only to define the value for the offset from the edges

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

agreeing as others have pointed out that the "STITCH" command should be your missing pc to the puzzle.

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
SE2019 Pre-Production Testing
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

There are some ways. Everybody suggests good solutions here.

Here is an other way:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Legend
Legend

Dear all of you.

Thanks for all the input.
Although stich welding, based on standard fillet welding may be the option, we finally went a different route.

As the weld are in majority either A5 or A7 and the length in 9 out of 10 times is defined as well, we went to model the weld as a separate PAR file.
This would allow the resulting body to be labelled as weldment, hence having all the correct notifications to be directly taken from 3D in the 2D DFT. Having it in this way, we think we can reuse more predefined weld, while using pattern and duplicate functions to place them in the ASM.

Although you may have to play with the occurrence properties, it does work pretty well for us…

So even though I have not directly used you suggestions, it did set me thinking on alternatives 😉
Thanks for all.

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@quayquip.com
www.quayquip.com