Are there standard shape profiles available?

I'm coming from SolidWorks, and there was a nice structural steel library, which had accurate cross sections of all the U.S. standard steel shapes (W, C, L shapes, etc.).

Is there something similar for Solid Edge?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES

Re: Are there standard shape profiles available?

I had to ask the same question, 10 times before I recieved a real answer.

Yes, they (ANSI profiles) are included with the "standard parts" if you buy the middle of the road version. I'm using the minimal version that does not include them. If you only need a few, your better off drawing them. If you need more than 30 or 40 sections, then it's worth upgraded and adding $1000/year maintinance to gain the standard parts, rendering, and a few other things.

If any are aware of a 3rd party who can prvide ansi sections and not add to the maintinance costs, I want to know.

You should have access to included standard shape profiles here:  C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST6\Frames.  These are used with the Frame tool in assembly to build structural members.  Solid Edge comes with a default set that you can use out of the box.  If there is a size/shape you need that isn't included, you can:

a) use a default member and edit it to create a new size

b) draw the 2D sketch profile for the shape/size from scratch and add it

c) import from an outside source (DWG/DXF, or other 3D model).  When you create from scratch or import, you need to define the origin and orientation of the cross-section.  There's a command for it.

Feel free to expand on your use case and I can try to offer some specific suggestions.

Thanks,

Kevin Grayson

Solid Edge Technical Consultant

Siemens PLM Software

kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

I'm seeking a way to buy all the typical ANSI sections without increasing the yearly maintinance.

There are actually two sets of dimensions. Are you looking for the design dimensions or detailing dimensions?

I build part families for the structural shapes using the design dimension set in NX well over 15 years ago. I might be able to pull the spreadsheet data for you or you could google for the dimensions and pull the data into excel to use.

Thank you for all the replies. The problem was that the standard shapes were never installed. I found the library disc, and installed that. I then couldn't figure out how to interface with the parts, but after reading online, I found out there is an installation which needs to be done from the main install disc (it was some admin component). I now have the standard shapes and fasteners. Thanks again.