Array command?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

There really needs to be an array command for parts in an assembly. Array is an AutoCAD term for rotation based copies.

I know there are pattern command, but they require a sketch to reference. and circular patterns are only available for features in a part, not parts in an assembly (unless there is an underlying sketch or feature).

I would like to be able to pick an axis and make copies of object in an assembly relative to the axis where you can pick the degrees and # of copies. no sketch involved.

Any support for such a feature request?

36 REPLIES

Re: Array command?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I rather like the sketch driving patterns. As an example of their usefulness take an assembly that requires the same circular pattern (of different parts) at, say, ever increasing or decreasing diameter but that you don't want to pattern all the items at once. That pattern sketch can be used again and again. An admittedly rare occurence perhaps.

In any case what is it about having a sketch driving patterns that bothers you?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Most of the time there is no geometry to reference for the pattern other than the center point of the rotation. Why create an extra part / features or sketch just so I can make a 180 rotational copy (not a mirror). My work around right now is to just insert the part again with a new set of mates. But that is not taking advantage of available symmetry.

Worth note: The part is one of my plane driven realizable sheet metal parts.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm assuming you know you can create the pattern sketch in Assembly and it does not have to be in the component part.

Also, you might also be able to use the Mirror Component command if the part is symetrical and can be rotated as the command supports/allows that.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

When looking through pattern commands in an assembly, I didn't see any way to get to circular patterns. Always more to learn. If I make a sketch with circular symmetry in the assembly does the circular pattern command show up? This could be a simple matter of I don't know how to get at the circular pattern command in assembly directly.

The parts are not symmetrical. This is what drives the need for taking advantage of the rotational symmetry vs. a typical mirror.

I have many parts that essentially have "pinwheel" symmetry in the placement.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

should the "array" have assoz. pattern behaviour or should it be rotated copies only?

If so man could use the steering wheel. 

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In assembly, create a Sketch.

On the Sketch Home Ribbon, look for the Features section.

You should see a Rectangular Pattern and a Circular Pattern feature.

That is what you place in an Assy Sketch to base a pattern on.

2015-12-18_15-22-46.png

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Using the steering wheel is just another way of making a manual copy.

I'm trying to circular copy a part in the assembly. Unless a a circular sketch is required to make a circular copy (to make the command available), I still can't find the circular pattern that applies to parts (not features or sketches).

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Grundey's picture shows it. It's available while creating a sketch in assembly. I think it's odd and confusing that the prompt "click elements" stays there even though the sketch element has already been picked perhaps leading one to think that he/she needs to pick elements to pattern. But that is not the case. The sketch is merely being set up so that the pattern command elsewhere on the ribbon (which confusingly only shows a rectangle) after the sketch is closed can subsequently be used to pattern parts and/or assys using the sketch as the driver. You pick the parts to be patterned then you pick the sketch containing the pattern "element". Also the radius in the sketch pattern is arbitrary. What's needed are the other parameters like count, angle, etc. Then if you need to change the pattern you edit the sketch profile to change that sketch "element". It's a pattern element in a sketch that can contain other "normal" sketch entities so that's why you have to pick it.

Hope that helps. It's a weird way to pattern if one is used to, say, SolidWorks. But once one gets passed the oddness it works very well.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank bshand and Grundy. So it can be done, but a sketch is required. I was always looking for a something that works like the mirror command (no sketch involved).

My most common use is needing a single copy placed 180 deg from the original. I hate to add a sketch for a single copy. It's simpler to insert the object again and add another set of mates. The mirror command is simpler that either option and was hoping for a rotational version of the mirror command to avoid the insert and re-mate procedure.

And yes, SW (3K hours) was my last parametric modeling software. Really I have an AutoCAD (50K hours) and Imageware (6K hours) background. Right now I'm just getting up to speed on SE (4K hours). I actually started in VersaCAD (5K hours) before AutoCAD was common.