Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Array command?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

For that 180 degree pattern you could, as Grundey said, use the mirror command and specify rotation around the appropriate axis (in the dialog that comes up) rather than mirror and get the same thing as a 180 degree circular pattern. Generally, in a mirror, rotation will be default if it is possible.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you don't need the copies of the components to be associative to the original components being copied, another way to do this is using the Move Components command (in the Modify group on the assembly Home ribbon):

movecomponents.png

There is an option to copy the components and to maintain the assembly relationships that are between the components selected to move/copy.

Greg

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I need everything to be associative. I drive the size of sheet metal parts from the assembly planes and other parts of the assembly. It take me forever to set up models (3 hours to 2 days), but once I set a model up, I can typically re-size the model and generate fab prints in 30 min. here is a screen shot of the model that started this question.

There is an article being worked on now going into engineering.com about how I automate the bend tables for fab drawings. I will create a new thread for it when complete. As a pre-view, I also attached one of the graphics I created for the article. The most time consuming part of fab drawings is back gage and stick out.

Creator
Creator

@12GAGE wrote:

I need everything to be associative. I drive the size of sheet metal parts from the assembly planes and other parts of the assembly. It take me forever to set up models (3 hours to 2 days), but once I set a model up, I can typically re-size the model and generate fab prints in 30 min. here is a screen shot of the model that started this question.

There is an article being worked on now going into engineering.com about how I automate the bend tables for fab drawings. I will create a new thread for it when complete. As a pre-view, I also attached one of the graphics I created for the article. The most time consuming part of fab drawings is back gage and stick out.

You sound like you come from a good design software as well... I am having the same issues... so far, all people can do is give you go-arounds and half-ass make-do's lol... why SE didnt add in an array or pattern in a straight line is beyound me.. obviously SE users dont understand the benefit of driving dimensions or "skeletal" modeling... I just need to array a sketched rectangle parallell to a line (on an angle) and cant because SE is just so limited in its abilities... or maybe the engineers are just limited in their experiance... im tired of the inefficiency..

Creator
Creator
Sketch driving patterns are inefficient and unnecessarily complicated.. in SW and Inventor.. you select your part, your axis, the amount/angle/whatever and it does it all... you can then use that pattern as a base for other patterns or just do each one separately.. furthermore, with the sketch patterns, you are limited to square and round..... no straight-line array or parallel-yo-line/edge... I've learned to live with the ridiculous sketch patterns, but i cant deal with the fact that even they are severely limited... and there are PLENTY of times you need to pattern inside the sketch, which cant be done at all..

@JCox wrote:
.. no straight-line array or parallel-yo-line/edge...

Can't disagree there. The patterns are always parallel with the plane axes not with the pattern sketch lines so you have to create a new plane at the desired angle and put a pattern sketch on that. So, the only easy way I know to do that is to create a sketch on the first plane with lines on the x an y axis at the desired angle, then create a 3 point plane using those lines, then create the pattern sketch using that new plane. So, two sketches and a plane to make a pattern at an angle. Unless I'm missing something that IS pretty ridiculous.

Bruce Shand

@JCox @bshand

Straight line pattern is either a rectanglular pattern with just 1 occurence in the non desired axis or better yet you can use Pattern Along Curve and can either select a sketched line (and yes, a Line is a curve with no curvature) or a part edge for the curve input.

Rectangular pattern sketches can be rotated in the sketch environment using the Rotate command to any angle desired.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Creator
Creator
A. Again, these are “work-arounds” not solutions...who wants to create a pattern, change it to one instance and then have to rotate it? When in every other platform it’s 1 step.
B. They still don’t help with patterning a hole or object within a sketch.
C. Thanks for explaining that a line is a curve. Lol.

[ I can't delete this post for some reason ]

Bruce Shand

@KennyG wrote:

Rectangular pattern sketches can be rotated in the sketch environment using the Rotate command to any angle desired.

That's what I thought but the pattern doesn't follow the  sketch. It follows the plane's X and Y axes as I mentioned before.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Bruce Shand