Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Array command?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@bshandIt appears there is a bug with the pattern in Assembly where it fails to update the pattern once it has generated features and has been rotated.  This works fine in Part.  I'll have to log an IR.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

You sound like you come from a good design software as well... I am having the same issues... so far, all people can do is give you go-arounds and half-ass make-do's lol... why SE didnt add in an array or pattern in a straight line is beyound me.. obviously SE users dont understand the benefit of driving dimensions or "skeletal" modeling... I just need to array a sketched rectangle parallell to a line (on an angle) and cant because SE is just so limited in its abilities... or maybe the engineers are just limited in their experiance... im tired of the inefficiency..

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say, first, up yours. I use this all the time and can probably implement this technique better than you can in whatever software you are used to using. As long as it is Works or Inventor. I'm assuming Inventor. Which, though I do like how it does patterning of parts, particularly how it easily patterns around an axis, still it is a far inferior software for sheet metal purposes and many other purposes as well. You just don't know how to use Edge as well. At least with edge you can reliably use a normal cutout, which inventor only TRIED to introduce a couple versions ago, yet it would still fail to do, so I had to stick with using the thicken method anyways. Kinda sucks when you have to create your parts with a work around in mind, especially when you didn't anticipate needing that function for a particular part when you created it. What about how you are always having to redefining sketches when the part changes? And why do you have to project geometry AT ALL just to associate relationships to things or dimension to the edges of the part? And the sheet metal styles crap is a total worthless mess. Not to mention the 'levels of detail' and 'view representations' which you need to define in the models and assemblies in order to use in the drawing. Ridiculous. Oh, and you have to have a whole other file created if you want to use a simple exploded view within your drawing.

Inventor may be better than SolidWorks, but it is extremely flawed. File curroption is a huge problem with Inventor. And it just got worse as time went on. I admit, I prefer Inventors content center to the standard parts that edge has. I generate many standard parts in inventor, then translate to use in edge. But I use Solid Edge to do your skeletal modeling way better than you can do in inventor. Hell, I have a cyclone that is resizable by changing one single dimension and the whole thing resizes perfectly, hole patterns for the outlets and everything. I can make a cyclone in 2 minutes that is anywhere between 5 inches in diameter all the way up to 50' in diameter and that just where I stopped. All the drawings remain linked and the views update without problem.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

@KennyG wrote:

@bshandIt appears there is a bug with the pattern in Assembly where it fails to update the pattern once it has generated features and has been rotated.  This works fine in Part.  I'll have to log an IR.

Not sure what you mean by "once it has generated features and has been rotated". When making the sketch I rotated it, them made a pattern. Actually I did it both ways - made the pattern, then rotated the sketch as well. Both fail. I assumed therefore that it was locked to the plane axes, not the sketch.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

What stinks most about all this is that solid edge DOES have this ability, you can use this in the draft environment. But not when you are modeling. Honestly, I feel like edge does need to redo how it handles patterns. Other softwares handle it better than Edge does.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

@nominus38, I can't speak to Inventor but I have bounced between SE and SW over my years using CAD and always considered the pattern sketches odd and more difficult to work with than the way SW did it.

I don't get some of the poster's criticisms but it's true you can't make a sketched rectangle parallel to another sketch line, or model edge. Not in assembly anyway. Isn't that odd? You can use a zero angle dimension but that's just compouding the oddity IMO. And apparently there's a bug with patterns in assemblies anyway.

Anyway, criticism is good if not taken too far. Keeps us on our toes.

Bruce Shand

@nominus38 wrote:

What stinks most about all this is that solid edge DOES have this ability, you can use this in the draft environment. But not when you are modeling.

What are you referring to here?

Bruce Shand

@bshand  I spoke too soon.  I am able to rotate the rectangle sketch and it updates.  Not sure why my my first test failed.  One key I found out is "Automatic Update" needs to be ON otherwise you will have to manually update to get the parts to follow the pattern sketch, but that is true for any pattern.

Ken

Works for me now too for some reason. I did a zillion updates originally with no joy. I can see how that kind of thing can frustrate users.

And it's still weird that you can use perpendicular and collinear but not parallel on a pattern sketch.

Bruce Shand

@bshand  To use the Parallel relationship, select the line you want the pattern rectangle parallel to first and then pick the pattern rectangle second.

Ken

WTF! No I don't want to select a certain one first. I guess that is a solution as a work-around if one has an immediate problem. But it's bizarre. Why don't collinear and perpendicular care about order of selection?

Anyway, thanks for tracking that down. Guess I'll submit an IR on it when time permits.

Bruce Shand