Assemble using reference planes

I am trying to assemble some parts in the Assembly environment, but cannot figure out how to display the refences planes of the parts I wish to assemble. 

How do I display and assemble using the reference planes?

Thanks,

Nevin

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -- John W. Gardner
5 REPLIES

Re: Assemble using reference planes

Hi there,

During the part placement, there is a button on the ribbon bar to enable the show & hide of, amongst other things, the reference planes for the new component.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

To add to what Sean said, when using FlashFit the Construction Display dialog applies to the part being placed or to the first part you select the face from during during Assemble. If you have already picked the face for the first part and want to turn on the reference planes for the part you want to constrain to, hold down the 'R' key while locating the face for the second part and you will now enter part selection mode. When you select a part in that mode, the reference planes will be displayed for the part you select. When not using FlashFit and not using Reduced Input mode, the Construction Display dialog applies to the part you last selected in the last step.

Hope this helps,

Greg

[ Edited ]

Didn't know about the "R" thing. Very nice.

Also might mention that you can turn on the planes for the parts of interest before constraining them. 

Right click the selected part or parts (edit: pick "show/hide component...") and the attached dialog shows up.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

New in ST8 are "Construction Display Options" that will turn on reference planes and/or coordinate systems when you place components. Once you are done placing them, these are automatically hidden for you.

You can set these options in Solid Edge Options->Assembly page.

---
Aditya Gurushankar
Manager, Solid Edge Planning

That is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much!!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -- John W. Gardner