Assemblies across the WAN

Experimenter
Experimenter

Is there anyone opening assembly drawings across the WAN that can share what solution is used to accomplish it? We are a global company and cannot collaborate with teammates around the world because assemblies take too long to open over WAN. Example – CIFS protocol over 1GB LAN to desktop will open assembly in less than a minute. Same assembly CIFS protocol over 50MB WAN takes over 45 minutes. Demo’ed Riverbed Steelhead and it had no improvement on user experience.

11 REPLIES

Re: Assemblies across the WAN

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The Riverbed product should help on subsequent loads as it only improves speed typically after caching data on both ends of the WAN.  Other options might be something like a shared cloud storage such as OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox as they cache data locally and synch the changes back to the cloud.  Of course there are PDM/PLM systems that vary with how they manage it, but all typically maintain a local cache on the client and many also support site cache/vaults that synchronize changes.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

How much data do you have (GB)? How many seats? Located at what sites? Using PDM? Which?

I think we have some stuff coming in ST9 that you will really like. Tell us a bit about yourself and we'll go from there... 

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Experimenter
Experimenter

The Riverbed team was stunned as well that subsequent loads didn't improve. We worked at it for 6 months to no avail. We have 10TB of files that have to be available around the world from different sources. We use OneDrive today but it requires discipline to copy master files with thousands of parts in assembly. Not conducive for running org efficiently. I saw another thread that said Steelhead wasn’t working back in 2014.

Community Manager
10TB. Wow. How many seats and where? (which company are you with?)
Dan Staples

Experimenter
Experimenter

10TB spread out in VA, Canada, Atlanta, NC, China, UK all running ST6 and no PDM. Thousands of file to makeup a 3D assembly. We do have Autodesk 360 PLM but the problem is no different to their cloud or any other cloud test. BTW, no CPU or network utilization issues from PC’s when calling assembly file.

Community Manager

Can you say how many seats? 10TB is a pretty huge DB -- i'd be interested to know how many seats and how many years generated that.

Dan Staples

Experimenter
Experimenter

Oh hay Dan. I believe you and I have spoken before some time ago maybe. 50+ seats...I'll send you PM

Experimenter
Experimenter

We’ve been using since 2000 initially with 30 users but are 50+ today. I would have to say 10TB cannot be accurate because I don’t know of a way to determine exact total of 3D assemblies. So my total CAD (2D & 3D) is around 10TB. Bottom line though if I can get 1 assembly to work across WAN then I should be able to overcome the majority of WAN challenge IMHO.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hate to say say the dreaded three letter acronym, but you need some kind of multi-site enabled PDM system...  Interested to see what Dan has up his sleeve for you in regards to ST9.  Maybe he can shoot me an e-mail with the particulars Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1