Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assemblies within assemblies and the big bad "update" brackets

Creator
Creator

Alright, I've been looking at the questions and answers here for a while trying to not repeat a question, but I've yet to see my issue.

I have a main assembly which is made of assemblies that is made of assemblies and components.  If I update any level assembly, I obviously need to update any drawings, so I use the component tracker to get rid of the brackets, but then it checks out multiple other weldments or assemeblies which have not been touched or altered in any way.  I will go through and check each item, update it, save it, update and save the drawings of that item and work my way up the ladder.

I'll get all the way back up to the top assembly and that drawing says it is out of date... Repeat process.  It is a terrible vicious circle.  There are some supplier provided parts but those seem to be up to date with no issue.

I am running SE 2019, but this is an issue that has been with all versions that I and my coworkers before me have encountered.  Please, for the love of what you hold dear, help.

I do hope I have explained the issue well enough. 

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Assemblies within assemblies and the big bad "update" brackets

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@00Mutt What are you using to manage your data?  You mentioned "checks out" so asuming some kind of PDM/PLM...

Depending on the PDM/PLM system, just the act of opening a file can throw it out of date.  In those cases you may want to turn on the "Limited Save" option to prevent any edit not caused by a direct intentional edit.  It is also located on the Tools ribbon in assembly.

A tool that can help structure updates is the "Component Tracker" on the Tools ribbon in Assembly.  This should keep you from having to open all the sub-components and will allow updating everything directly from the top assembly that was inserted in the Draft.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@00Mutt, we also encounter this issue quite frequently. Sometimes, as you say, it's a vicious cycle and component tracker doesn't really work. It'll show nothing is out of date in an assembly but the drawing is still "out of date". Sometimes if you open the parts which say out of date, update them but don't close them, and the drawing is "clean". Then close the model files and the drawing is dirty again.

Sometimes certain files will constantly turn up out of date according to component tracker but no matter how many times you update they come back dirty. Even if you open the component and check that everything seems clean.

Update all, alt-u, etc. don't do anything about out of date mass properties for some reason. That makes zero sense to me but remember to open properties manager and update all there too. Then cross your fingers but be prepared to lather, rinse, repeat. Potentially several times. Failure is not out of the question.

I've asked for an "enhancement" whereby one can at least temporarily turn off or at least lighten the out of date bold corners on the views as they can be very annoying when you can't get the views clean but are trying to edit the draft.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator

You're exactly right.  Quite often we just throw our hands up and just move on.  But there has to be a way around this. A dialogue box popped up saying that I don't have write access to some components, so they could not be saved, but opening one of the assemblies shows that every part is either designed by me, or made by the company.  Nothing that I don't have access to.

It's also the same assemblies every time. 

Creator
Creator

Kenny G, 

The component tracker is part of the issue.  When Solid Edge decides I need to update the drawings, I click it, check the components (none are out of date) then save all.  This will almost always check out from Teamcenter various other parts and assemblies that have not been touched but are "out of date".  I've even check these to see if there are any vendor parts that I don't have access to alter, but there isn't.

I'm not the only one this happens to which to me indicates it's not PICNIC (I learned this yesterday, Problem In Chair Not In Computer).

I'm convinced that we are not doing something correct or have some setting on that we shouldn't, I just don't know what it might be.