Assembly Freezing

Creator
Creator

Alright, friends.  Here's another one for the brain trust.  I've got an assembly in ST7 that is set up as an alternate assembly (so you have to choose an instance before it will open).  It won't let me delete any components.  It also won't let me add any components.  When I try to add a component, Edge pulls up the angle relationship dialog.  When I try to use the assemble command or any other relationship/cosntraint command, it brings up the angle relationship command.  From that, I can change the relationship type and apply constraints that way, but it still doesn't put in new parts.

Additionally, there are a ton of failed assembly relationships.

I didn't create this assembly and have no idea how it got so messed up, but I'm hoping someone here can recognize the symptoms.

Thanks in advance.

McEngineer
ST7

Trained extensively in SW and Inventor since 2003. Dropped into the deep end with Edge...please help.

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-1620 v2 (3.70 GHz)
15 REPLIES

Re: Assembly Freezing

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you need to set "apply to all members" but I'm not sure and am not expert with alternate assemblies.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator
I've got the "apply edits to all members" box checked.

McEngineer
ST7

Trained extensively in SW and Inventor since 2003. Dropped into the deep end with Edge...please help.

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM

Creator
Creator

Situation update:  my co-worker closed out the file and got back in (not the first time trying this, by the way) and it magically returned to normal.  So, for now, this is fixed, but without knowing the cause it's still pretty infuriating.

And for reference, we tried opening this file at 3 different workstations and got the exact same behavior.

McEngineer
ST7

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM

Phenom
Phenom

@McEngineer Was  support with you when it worked? :-) You know everything works fine when they come over to check it out!

Creator
Creator
What is this "support" entity of which you speak? We are just a bunch of engineers trained in SW and Inventor working for a German owned company that dictated we use SoldEdge and provided no training or resources. This project, from before I started work here, was the first one fully designed in Edge and by 4 different engineers all learning for the first time. The work we're doing in it now is installation support. And throw into the mix that three of the four engineers who put this together are no longer with the company. It's been a blast.

McEngineer
ST7

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps a guy named Murphy works there?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator
Aaaaand it's gone again. Maybe a network related issue?

McEngineer
ST7

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM

Phenom
Phenom

@McEngineer Yeah, that sounds pretty much like most companies these days. I definitely understand your pain. See I'm going the other way with 25+ yeas of UG/NX and then going to work for a company that is using SW. I beat my head against the keyboard so much that the guys next to be bought me a waffle/quilted pillow to form to the dents in my head. The SW process...well..I just don't get why it has to be so hard and rely so heavily on 2D sketches for everything, not to mention the nasty way it builds references to other geometry and files....yeeesh.

Now, SE is very similar to SW in the ordered/history based world. Both systems have their flaws and share of bugs. The good news is that you are here amongst some of the best users (excluding myself from that list I'm still learning) so issues and answers are all to be had here. Ask away.

SE kicks the crap out of SW with its ability to convert data, make changes quickly, etc using synchronous technology. And don't think ST is easy for use history-based users. It's not and it scares the crap out of us because we are afraid of what we don't know.

Stuck in the dark world of SolidAlmostWorks but not quite.

Creator
Creator

One more update:  it is not working again.  I tried to copy the assembly and all referenced files from our network onto my hard drive.  So I open the assembly in revision manager, and it only shows the assembly itself, none of the referenced files.  I can copy that to my hard drive and open it, but still get the same behavior.

Completely befuddled with this.  Anyone out there have an idea what's going on here?

McEngineer
ST7

Version 107.0011.04 x64
HPZ420
nVIDIA K4000
16GB RAM