Solved! Go to solution

Assembly Zone Extents

Hi,

I read this in the help "The range box of the design body of each selected component is used to calculate the zone box volume."

When creating a zone of the head.par component in the sample Grinder1.asm I can see the zone box is not tight but extends a little outside as seen below.

Is there something wrong I am doing when picking the head1.par when creating a zone. I just go and pick the component and don't mind other smaller parts being included in the zone even when not selected, but the bounding box is not as expected:

The Front and Back view clearly show its not a fitting Bounding Box.

And the Top and Right views show the box fits at least on two sides.

Any insight is highly appreciated.

~Tushar

4 REPLIES

Re: Assembly Zone Extents

[ Edited ]

Do you not want to adjust the boundary interactively?

Not sure why it doesn't touch the extremes of the model or selected part on all 6 sides.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

My intention with exploring zones was a requirement to display some components with just the bounding box and others with actual parts.

Earlier I experimented with saving the assembly as PDF and the Adobe Reader has a render mode called Bounding Box, but then it shows all components as BBoxes, whereas the requirement is to selectively show BBox and others as actual parts.

In Solid Edge, it looked great and as desired, until some gaps were seen. I feel there is something wrong with the way I am using the Zone command.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tushar
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

In my brief testing it reliably touches just the outsides of selected parts. Plus you can interactively adjust.

Anyway, isn't it just a show/hide tool? It only hides something if it's completely in the box.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

I too tested with several other assemblies and the results are fine.

So it appears its just this case with the head1.par in the sample Grinder1.asm

And below isa video showing how the PDF viewer shows the bounding box for same part correctly: