Solved! Go to solution

Assembly alignment

I mated this bolt with the base using the Insert relation.  I unlocked the rotation and can free turn the screwe with the steering wheel.  I want to align a face of the bolt with the side of the base. I should be able to use Planar Align to achieve this, but I get an error saying it conflichs with another relation.

I double checked the existing relations for the bolt and there is only an axial align (unlocked rotation) and mate.  Why can't I use planar align to align the bolt face with the side of the base?

6 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SPXAli
‎09-16-2015 02:29 PM

Re: Assembly alignment

[ Edited ]

Make sure the planar align is floating, not distance locked.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Man, you're just too quickSmiley Happy

I have a follow up that's sorta related.  Whenever I try to mate or planar align two faces, I always get a red offset dimension.  I tried typing zero in the distance box, but it never does anything.  I have to enter the relation with the offset, escape out, select the part again, doubleclick on the mate relation, and then set it to zero.

[ Edited ]

Are you putting the value in the dim tool bar? (next to my circled area on the last reply?)

IDK, it works for me.

Bruce Shand

Yes, that's where I put it.

What I have to do is press escape again, click on the part, double click on the relation, then I can make the offset 0.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SPXAli
‎09-16-2015 04:48 PM

[ Edited ]

Is the radio button shown off? Although if it's 0 in the dim box it should override this.

Bruce Shand

It is now Smiley Happy

Thank you very much.  I'm glad there are experts like you here who know exactly where all these options are.