Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Assembly disappears

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, I have been designing a wheelchair, so i have a lot of parts. Solid Edge crashed the other day and after it seemed to work fine. But now when I try to open the main assembly if I rotate the whole thing it dissapears. This only happens with the large assembly (not with other subassemblies I have). 

I have tried opening older versions of this assembly but the same thing happens with the recent ones. The only older versions that load properly are ones with less parts.

What can I do? As starting the assembly again from scratch really isn't an option Smiley Sad

I have tried restarting the computer but this didn't work.

Thanks,

Emily

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Assembly disappears

Phenom
Phenom

Can you post the file? 

I've seen a similar symptom when a part has a tiny or invisible area far away from the rest of the part. Zooming/rotating causes a situation where the whole assembly is so tiny you can't see it. This will trick you into thinking it has disappeared. 

Phenom
Phenom

Forgot to mention, if you're on SE academic, can't open the file..

Phenom
Phenom

one way to debug:

from the main assembly, hide all sub assemblies. Then start making them visible one at a time. Rotate and zoom a little after every change. Finally you'll find the assy or part that's causing the bad behaviour. Removing this assembly and adding it again might help. Also, check for parts that have small entities far out from the main body.

At least you won't need to rebuild the entire structure.

Harri

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes, I am using the academic version. I will try what you have suggested to see if it works. Thanks for your help.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @EmilyJ,

Further to the ideas that @hjoy shares.....you may also check that your system resource limits aren't being exceeded.

On that note.....what are your system specs?

Would be good to know what version of Solid Edge also.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Also, should it be a problem that I add the subassemblies for parts like the wheels, armrests, etc. and then I insert the parts that join them to the main chassis with the nuts and bolts neccessary? Or would it be best for all these elements to be in the subassemblies?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@EmilyJ, no, what you describe sounds just fine, and is as I make my assemblies also.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am using the Solid edge ST10 with a student license.  

I am using an Intel core i5 1.80 GHz with 12GB of RAM. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ok, so I think I have found the bad subassembly, when I open it separately it also makes the whole thing dissapear. So I think what I will do is start that subassembly again, as it has few parts.

Thank you all for your help!