Assembly driven cutout / Assembly driven normal cutout

Genius
Genius

What I would like to know is who uses assembly driven cutouts in designs?

My company has already been using assembly driven cutouts in our standard model even before I started working here (8years). Our cutouts are controled by another program which moves sketch/coordinate systems around the model.

These cutouts generate double lines ofcource if put through cilindric / Cone parts which we have an lot of in our model. What we have been noticing through the years that each version of SE has changes when making DXF's of those parts which has the cutout in. SE ST4 was an good version with an stable smart double line removal or you could see the double lines when opening the DXF. With ST6 really small pieces of line appeared around the circle line which we had to find and remove by hand. ST8 gives the same problem as ST6.

From the point we moved towards ST6 we have been working with our Support to find an fix and reqeusting things from Siemens.

- First anwer was put the layer off that gives those extra lines. But if we would do that what else would be put off, no-one could tell me.

- Second anwer was that we should use normal cutouts if we want to avoid double lines / rare dot lines etc.

For our design of modeling with our own program this is not going to work, so we reqeusted Assembly driven normal cutout from Siemens.

Because don't get me wrong, we love normal cutouts we always use it with non-standard parts when we get the chance.

When I was just talking with my support we came on the point of are we the only one who uses assembly driven cutouts? Are other company's not interested in assembly driven normal cutouts.

I would like to know if the community has any thought about this.

Cheers,

Sander

7 REPLIES

Re: Assembly driven cutout / Assembly driven normal cutout

Phenom
Phenom

We do a lot of sheet metal work would always use normal cutouts for reasons you know.  We also do a lot of top-down modelling from the welded assembly to the parts that make it up, but I guess the way we don't encounter your problems is that we typically do sketches in the assembly that we then push down to the parts with the associative link retained. Then in the parts we are free to use the sketch to drive the geometry and normal cutouts etc. whilst retaining the ability to do mass changes by altering the assembly sketch.

I guess a workaround to your problem would be to do normal cutouts on your parts after the assembly cutout (I'm assuming you're using ordered modelling), using the assembly cutout to drive the normal cutout sketch. You could even do this in the flat pattern mode after the flatten command.

Genius
Genius

Hello Alex,

Copy sketch is an good option but in our case to much work. Because what if my customer wants this connection moved from top towards shell. You will have to copy the sketch again and put it towards the shell this time. This will be really time consuming if you have to 1000+ based on one year for 1 engineer. With cutout you just have to edit and select new part and Solid edge does the work for you.

Nozzle movement.JPG

Your workaround provides us even more work by hand, we produce an lot of DXF's that are placed in an DWG and from that point it will be cleaned up. Ofcource a lot more things are done there but thats not the point of this topic.

Would you not prefere to make an cutout on assembly level that makes normal cutouts in the part? Will that not provide you less work and so more time to do more other things.

Phenom
Phenom

I definitely agree that 'normal assembly cuts' would be of use, but I was just suggesting alternatives as it's not coming any time soon!  

Another suggestion for you would be to investigate multibody modelling and see if that would work for you. Have a single part with multi bodies that contains the sides, dome and pipe. You could then save out linked parts for each body that you add the flange etc. on to while keeping a single place to make changes. You could also use synchronous techniques in this case, which would be useful for making major changes fairly easily.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm just wondering if your source is APV (Advanced pressure vessel). I have done tons of ASME stuff over time.

Rather than trying to use assembly cuts, can you use an include to a sketch on a plane inside the part and cut from there?

edit----nevermind, same as above that create more work

Genius
Genius

@Alex_H

Our current parts as you see them have multi-bodies, I think we control our model the best SE has to offer currently. But there is always ways for improvement, my support has put down an reqeusted to get Assembly driven normal cutout. But thats just one reqeust, there has te be more people out there who could use it. But if you don't reqeust it from Siemens than it can take an long while Smiley Very Happy.

@12GAGE

Yes, this is an pressure vessel. Smiley Wink

Genius
Genius

If anyone would like the assembly driven normal cutout to be added, you can link your company to my ER 7550216 (Dated October 29th 2015).

Thanks in advance! Smiley Very Happy

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Yes, there is no direct way to do what you want, but I suggest using following method:

This has been presented by me (SEU2015). I hope this help!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/