Solved! Go to solution

Assembly of multiple surfaces

Hello,

I am new to the Solid Edge, before been working with the Inventor mostly. 

The project I am working on consists of several plane layers, which are ment to be glued together. Now how can one design that in the Solid Edge ?  

In Inventor I would create a sketch as a guide. 

Best regards,

Artemy 

9 REPLIES

Re: Assembly of multiple surfaces

[ Edited ]

Hi Artemy, Welcome to the Solid Edge forum.

If you have been using reference planes in Inventor previously, creating similar ones in Solid Edge is equally easy,

You can start with using Extrude surfaces from sketches and there is a whole array of Surfacing features on the ribbon you can use from:

Finally you can use the Stitched Surface command to 'glue' the surfaces which may result in a solid body depending upon the tolerance and the nature of the surfaces glued.

If you could post some images of what the 'plane layers' you intend to use look like and also the sketches, that would be helpful in guiding you further.

~Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.in

[ Edited ]

@artemyp

It would be helpful if you could either show us what you're trying to do, or better yet send some files. This way the folks here on the forum can better understand your question. I'm guessing here, but this might be a start.

There is a way to Copy surfaces from other parts and use them in a NEW part... then you can make them into a "glued together" body.

First you need to import a copy of the part and grab the faces you want to use.

Then you can grab which faces you want to use.

This will create a Surface to work with... You can import as many Part/Faces as needed.

But again show us what you're trying  to do and we'll get you a better answer.

Bob

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately I can't upload the files, but here is an example:

I have the plastic base (PC base), and I have an adhesive layer (Rear adhesive). 

How do you assemble these together ? :-) In all the tutorials I have seen, there misc parts which are ment to be inserted in another part, while here you do not insert anything.. You simply put one layer on top of another. parts and pics attached 

p.s. I am using ST6 version

This was a very bad example. It's easy to assemble these two by using the edges. 

What if you don't Have any edges ? Let's say I need to put a small piece of an adhesive 10x10mm on top of that PC base somewhere in the middle of it ? 

Here watch this video

http://screencast.com/t/33nrbFkQLh

Sorry guys, this isn't what I need. I am sorry for such a poor explanation.

Perhaps this would help: As you see, this "extruded elipse" isn't connected to any of edges, it is assembled to the surface via specific point. How can I do this in SE ?

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author artemyp
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

You can use an assembly level sketch to make any kind of feature that shows the centerpoint of the ellipse on the plate, then use the Connect assembly relationship to snap the ellipse to it. Or you can use tangent relationships to drive offsets of the ellipse from the edges of the plate. There's quite a few ways to skin this cat.

The Connect relationship, by the way, is more powerful than it first appears. Just one example- If you hover over a cylinder until you can right-click and get the expanded selection menu, you can select the surface of the cylinder rather than the axis.

-Dylan Gondyke

I think you would still use the workflow Bob demonstrated, except using planar offset distances to locate the elliptical cylinder on the plate.

Thank you all for the answers. The "connect" feature is what I need.