Assembly

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is there any way that by altering any part in assembly (increasing or decreasing length) the quantity of associated parts changed (increase in case of lenth increament and vise versa) instead of manually inserting and constraing associated part.

Lets say there are nine hole in a part. by altering its length, the no. of holes increased in the part with constant pitch thus bolt inserted in the assembly environment would also be increased.

5 REPLIES

Re: Assembly

Phenom
Phenom

As long as you pattern the bolts using the hole pattern in the part then the number of bolts will increase/decrease accordingly.

If you want the number of holes to change according to the length of the part then you need to set up the hole pattern using either the Fill or Fit option (not sure which) or by using variables.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for your reply.

Actually the bolts example was just for reference. I am working on a water tank made up of different sheets welded togather. Modifying the length or volume of the tank  the number of sheets would increase. All the time I need to do it manually. I am willing to make it automatic.

hope you understand the scenario

Phenom
Phenom

OK, that's much clearer and I see the problem now.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Same scenario, just use a Pattern Sketch and adjust the sketch length with your tank size change.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Phenom
Phenom

The core of this kind of logic will be at the sketch level. But I think a manual step will be involved.

Lets say you want to use 4' sheets and your length is 41'. Do you want a 1' sheet to fill in, or do you want do you want two sheet at 2.5" on each end? However you want to do it, the problem comes down to the # of segments in the pattern or how the pattern starts and ends.

I think you make pattern with fixed lengths much larger than what you would ever use and trim the parts you dont want off. The problem becomes, the X amount of sheets that were trimmed away, I'm not sure how they work for the parts lists or file tracking. This assumes you make a bunch of sheets that most of the time don't really exist. Do you leave the drafted view of those sheets blank? or copy the entire draft/assembly then delete those view? (This is what I do with some designs). 

Sometimes you have symmetry, and sometimes not, is my quanity heache. I have to manually control sheet counts depending on how the design turned out. The master draft file has every part detailed. After the specific design is complete, I jsut delete the unneeded views of part details.