Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign a color to 3d objects in Draft

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible to give a color assignment to a 3d object in the Draft environment?  (other than the shaded view option).

I can assign a color to a fill from a section view, but not the lines.

Thanks

M

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Assign a color to 3d objects in Draft

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Planker81  You can use "Edge Painter" to override individual element colors on a view.  Use the "User-Defined Edges" option.

2018-08-28_16-14-11.png

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Betreff: Assign a color to 3d objects in Draft

Hi @Planker81

You can show the draft in a Colored Line Mode using the Model Colors of the 3D objects:

20180829_0959.png

So if You already have defined Your wanted colors in 3D document, You can show them

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @Planker81

but I have to clarify this a little, this only could be applied onto a complete part, not for single faces or edges

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Wolfgang,

Thanks,  I've never used that tool. It's ok but like you said, doesn't apply color to edges. Edge painter will work but is too laborious having to select every line segment. I wish there was a color option in the properties/display tab that would let you color the whole part in one setting.

Cheers

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We used to have to do this regularly for certain customers.  I finally broke down and wrote a macro to do this.  I called it DraftPainter.  It turned out to be pretty handy.  You select the color from the dialog, set how you want the utility to process the views, then just pick an edge of the part to be updated.  This was written many years ago (Pre-ST) so use at your own risk.  Hope it still works...

Russ

@Planker81  @hawcad suggestion to use the "Use Model Colors" will apply to all generated edges of the view as shown below.

2018-08-29_16-28-22.png

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com