Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign materials to an Assembly? Also, parts list for Assemblies?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I'm having to go over some old assembly models which unfortunately have not had materials assigned during the part/sheet metal stage.

If I have a frame we've made out of Stainless Steel 304 for example (call it Assembly01.asm), is there an easy way to assign a material to all that assemblies individual components?

I'm currently having to open that assembly, and use Property Manager to individually assign materials. However this is tedious so I was hoping for some little trick or shortcut you can advise.

As a secondary trickier question, is there a way to create a BOM-style list but for assemblies and sub-assemblies without having to go through and edit lists?

What I mean is I essentially want a list of all available .asm files in my main assembly with their quantity on. The way I have currently been doing this is using an Exploded list, and then hiding all part/sheet metal files. However this is also tedious so was hoping there is an automated solution.

To answer 'why' we do this, it's because we issue assembly drawings to the shop floor, and provide a list of all individual assembly drawings (I have no control over why we do this). Therefore I was hoping there is a faster or automated way to do so.

Hopefully these questions should bring on an interesting discussion regarding assemblies within Solid Edge generally. I'd be interested to know how you all manage and organise your assemblies with relation to manufacturing drawings. 

Thanks

11 REPLIES

Betreff: Assign materials to an Assembly? Also, parts list for Assemblies?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @User_Error

first question is easy tzo answer:

Just use the Physical Property Manager from Your Top assembly:

20180323_1152.PNG

For the second part of Your question I might ask to further explain what You want to do.

I was not able following Your request.

Maybe You can make it easier with providing pictures or video

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Assign materials to an Assembly? Also, parts list for Assemblies?

@User_Error  I don't think there is any easy automatic way to do this without the tedium of either making a configuration to hide all parts in the main assembly and subassemblies, turning things off in the view display properties, hiding rows in the parts list properties data tab, or using list control in the parts list properties.

I would be a nice enhancement to be able to specify assemblies only.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @User_Error

Hi @bshand

when I now have understood the question correctly, then my answer would be to do this as following:

• define those assemblies You do not want to have shown in full BOM mode as "Weldment"

A weldment assembly per defintionem is not exploded further for any BOMs and is shown like a single part

Is this what You are looking for?

regards
Wolfgang

@hawcad  I guess that could work if it doesn't disrupt other workflows.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Yes I believe converting the subassemblies to weldments may be the answer he is looking for. This keeps it from expanding further in the BOM unless you choose to expand it, so it will show up as one part, and you can even define a material for it which will show up in the BOM as well.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for the answers all, this is essentially what I was trying to discover; that you can apply materials to Weldment assemblies. We had been using Assemblies not Weldment Assemblies, which as nominus answers affects the BOM, application of material etc. Thanks!

Phenom
Phenom

Glad to help.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

@User_Error, I think @hawcad deserves a share of the solution pie along with @nominus38. You can mark multiple posts as solutions.

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand

thanks for mention my input too!

regards
Wolfgang