Associative assembly sketch

Phenom
Phenom

I'm not able to set up a sketch to drive hole patterns that span multiple pieces. Here are the details.

Typically, I create sketches with hole patterns within sheet metal parts.

I create cutouts using the sketch.

Other parts are mated to the hole patterns.

To move the other part, I then go adjust the hole pattern.

The hole locations maintain a perpetual relation to the cutouts.

Currently, I want to sue the same procedure, but the hole patterns are spanning multiple pieces of sheet metal.

I can get the cutouts in place across multiple pieces using an assembly sketch, and then make assembly driven part features in the sheet metal parts.

The problem is that assembly sketches can't automatically update (Perpetual relation) each piece of sheet metal.

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES

Re: Associative assembly sketch

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Scott,

Pretty certain you should be able to do this already......by using "Project to Sketch" with "Maintain associativity..." checked ON, then actually include some geometry on those parts, in order to link it to the pattern sketch. Still only as robust as the edges the geometry is derived from.

ST8_ASM_Sketch_ProjectToSketch_PartProjectionOptions.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

That's the problem. I use thoes options all the time for sketches within a part. But it does not work for an assembly sketch that is to be applied to multiple parts.

Phenom
Phenom

I figured it out. The way I want to work requires the option: Create Assembly-Driven Part feature vs. Create part feature or Create assembly feature.

I had always wondered the differeance.....now I know.