Assy model opens, but no geometry is visible

Pioneer
Pioneer

In ST6, this assembly file would crash Solid Edge when opening.  In ST7 it opens, but parts only are visible when they are selected.  In the past on ST6 this assembly would open on our other workstation but not this one.  Now it won't open correctly in any one.  If I open it under different profiles (view configurations) the parts that were saved in that profile are visible, but I cannot rotate nor zoom the assembly. 

None of the checkboxes in the parts list can be checked, and all sub-assemblies have no parts in them, even though I can open the sub-assemblies independently and all the parts are there. There are about 3 parts that do show up - copper tubes created in xpress route.

This is very frustrating, as it happens over and over again.

9 REPLIES

Re: Assy model opens, but no geometry is visible

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

It's not bigger than 500 m by any chance?

Pioneer
Pioneer
If you are asking if the size is larger then 500 meters, no. It is about 7"x7"x15" tall. It has no more than 100 or so parts, most are sheet metal or copper tubing. It is a small 1000 BTUh air conditioner.

Phenom
Phenom

A lot of what may be basic questions-

-Have you worked with large assemblies other than this one? What are the results of opening those assemblies?

-What is the file size of the assembly? What is the largest file size of the parts in the assembly?

-What is the difference between workstation hardware? (What are you running for RAM, graphics cards, etc...)

-Is it possible there is a 'problem part' that is causing issues upon open? Perhaps remove the file for the largest/most complex part so it cannot load into the assembly, and see how the assembly open behavior changes?

-Have you submitted this to GTAC or your reseller to see if they can reproduce and perhaps give some info on why this is happening?

-Dylan Gondyke

Pioneer
Pioneer

A lot of what may be basic questions-

-Have you worked with large assemblies other than this one? What are the results of opening those assemblies?

Yes, this is one of our smallest assemblies.  It is not related to the size. This is just one of 10 similar models, and is the only one that has ever had a problem like this.

-What is the file size of the assembly? What is the largest file size of the parts in the assembly?

Assembly file size is 2.5Mb.  Largest part file size is 21Mb.  I have other assemblies with 5.9Mb assembly files, and largest part files of 29.9 Mb that have always opened just fine.  It is not the size of the assembly or the parts.

-What is the difference between workstation hardware? (What are you running for RAM, graphics cards, etc...)

It is not related to hardware.  I have the most powerful one here.  And besides, on the machine that used to open it, I could do a save-as on the main assembly, overwrite the one in the main folder, and both machines could then open it.  It is not hardware related.  But... Intel E5630 Xeon, Win 7 64 bit, 6 GB ram.  The one that it opened on in the past is an intel I5 with 4 GB ram.  Again, not related to hardware. Graphics cards are 2x ATI FirePro V5800.

-Is it possible there is a 'problem part' that is causing issues upon open? Perhaps remove the file for the largest/most complex part so it cannot load into the assembly, and see how the assembly open behavior changes?

Nope.  Every part and sub-assembly can open individually just fine.  I have older revisions of the same assembly with I think only changes to the copper.  I think something is corrupt in whichever file stores the copper routing. And that is a problem - even after using revision manager, copper paths are always tied to the original assembly, I have not found a way to get them to move to a new assembly version.  To make copper changes, I have to delete and then recreate the copper parts on new paths.  But I digress...

-Have you submitted this to GTAC or your reseller to see if they can reproduce and perhaps give some info on why this is happening?  Yes, to my reseller, but they do not know what causes it. 

Here's why this is so annoying - there was never any indication that there was a problem until I try to open the file.  The last time I saved the file was 10/16.  I made a few minor changes, saved it, and closed it.  Now it isn't useable.  There were no error messages when saving it (and still aren't). It opens, but I can't make any parts visible.  I can even edit and open parts from the parts list and they are fine.  But as soon as I go back to the assembly environment, I can not rotate, edit, hide or unhide any of the parts.  Oh, and activiate/Inactivate parts.  That works too, they just don't show up unless it is currently selected in the parts list.

It's not hardware, file size, or anything like that.  I've been using Solid Edge since 6.0.  Not ST6, 6.0.  and have used Pro/E, Solid Works, UG (when it was called UG), Ideas, and Inventor simultaneously since about 1998.  I know how to troubleshoot models that don't open or crash cad tools.  Something is getting corrupted in some of the files when it gets saved, as everything is fine until I save, close, and then try to reopen the model. 

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Sometimes a part can shoot off into space because of its ASM relationships and geometric conditions. (Thousands of KM from the origin)

You can see this in 2D when 2 lines at very small angle to each other (Very small, Near parallel) intersect.

One thing to try is to open the ASM, select a part, right click and run Zoom to. If the part appears then this may be the issue. (Fit fits to all the displayed parts and the parts are so far apart they are dots)

Run occurrence properties on the ASM and check the XYZ position of the components. If a component has huge numbers then this may be the issue.

Another problem may be construction display. If these are imported parts they may not have design solids. Run Show/Hide Component and turn on Surfaces.

If none of the above work then please contact GTAC so we can look at the files and see what may be happening.

Thanks,

Art

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If things are different between computers. Hardware is the culprate. The main differance between the machine is I-core vs. Xeon. The main differance between thoes two machines is hyperthreading. The Xeon does not have it. The I-core does. Perhaps turn the hyperthreading off.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Nothing appeared to be off in space.  But zoom, rotate, pan don't work at all.  I couldn't see parts unless they were selected in the parts list, and even then it was only the all yellow "selected" color.

Zoom to works, but only shows the green wireframe of the part, not any of the faces.  Zoom to Fit does not reduce the size of the model to dots, the same few are always visible.

Occurence numbers do not have any huge numbers.  Again, about 8 parts are always visible.  If I open the different view configurations (were saved by different designers) different sets of parts can be seen, but none can then be shown or hidden from that configuration.

They are not imported parts.  All are native solid edge geometry.

I finally got a version to open working on a copy made with revision manager - I went through every part starting with the most complicated ones, opened the parts individually, edited a sketch to force dirty status, then saved the part. Then would open the sub-assemblies independently, force dirty status, then save them. 

the only thing I changed was that there were a few assembly features that had lost their sketches, so I deleted those unnecessary features.  I think I know which part or sub-assembly causes it, but deleting that sub-assy didn't fix the problem, and I can open and edit the parts by themselves without issue.

But if I did the exact same thing on the original files, not the one created by the copy revision manager function, it did not work. 

So I can open them now, hopefully I won't have to make any copper changes.  But I'd like to know why this keeps happening.  I will try to contact GTAC.

Pioneer
Pioneer

12GAGE wrote:

If things are different between computers. Hardware is the culprate. The main differance between the machine is I-core vs. Xeon. The main differance between thoes two machines is hyperthreading. The Xeon does not have it. The I-core does. Perhaps turn the hyperthreading off.

But it was designed on this computer, and has been opened many times just fine on his computer.  I've also had other assemblies that wouldn't open on his computer, but mine would open them.  He's a new user, so I thought he had done something unusual.  But this time neither would open them.

It's a file corruption problem, it's not hardware.  If it were a hardware problem, I wouldn't have been able to open this file several times a week for the past 3 years.  Then suddenly after one successful save, after making a minor change like changing the length of a single straight piece of 2" copper tube, the assembly suddenly isn't useable.  And if it were hardware, I wouldn't have been able to fix it with the steps in my previous post.

None of our hardware has changed, the only thing that's changed is ST7 (but we had similar issues in ST6 with this same assembly model.)

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

You mentioned assembly features.  What happens if you suppress them?