Attaching Faces in Synch - What's the trick?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm almost too embarassed to ask because I'm sure this is to easy, but I'm finding it impossible to Detach some faces and move them elsewhere on my model and Attach them.  I never get the Attach command.  I've created a simple test case of a cube with a cylindrical extrusion on the top of it.  I select the cylinder and the circular face that is the top and I can Detach it.  If reselect the same faces, I am not given the Attach command on the shortcut menu.  If I make them a user defined face set, I can right click on that and see the Attach command but the command is inactive.  Where am I going wrong?  I don't remember this being this obscure...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1
7 REPLIES

Re: Attaching Faces in Synch - What's the trick?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Is the cylinder a feature in the pathfinder? If so, clicking on that should give you a live attach command.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

I tried this:

1. Did not pick any faces on the cylinder.

2. Hover the cursor over the cylindrical face for the QuickPick to appear.

Ken_Attach_01.png

3. In the QuickPick list, right-clicked on the 'Surface_Body' item directly to get the context menu with the Attach option.

Ken_Attach_02.png

Also able to verify Bruce's method on ST 6. Its more 'straight forward'.

~Tushar

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Tushar

I don't get a surface body choice. Depending on how it's created I get a protrusion or a cylinder.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand  I tried the method described by Ken and also Cut-Paste, got the Surface_Body option both time. I am on ST 6.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I think you may want to change your workflow Ken. 

Detach = Suppress -- i.e. remove from model and leave where it is. You can then attach it later in the same place (unsuppress).

Cut = Cut, Attach = Paste i.e. What you are after. Cut from the model -- put in a different place and then Attach.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Dan, I was only using the Detach for testing as I had actually used Cut & Paste on my "real" model and couldn't get it to work.  The box and cylinder was just my simplified test model and I really didn't need to move it to a new spot to test "Attach".

Tushar, your hint was what I needed. Thanks for that.

It just seems that if I pick all the faces that would create a closed volume if they were Attached, that you should be able to use Attach.  If can select the two surfaces and Detach them,  logic would dictate that I should be able to do the exact opposite and pick the two surfaces and Attach them as well.  Instead they have to be a SurfaceBody or a system created FaceSet such as that created by the Paste command (user defined did not work).

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

An opportunity to help a super user is not one gets everyday.

Already standing on the shoulders of giants @SeanCresswell and @Imics, a thank you note from Ken feels like I have touched the tops !!

Ken, I just worked out the case described by you and bumped into something I would not have done normally: right-clicking on a QuickPick item. Glad it worked for you.

@bshand note Ken's signature; he is on ST6 and me too. That perhaps is the reason why you don't get the Surface_Body option. The behavior seems to have changed in newer versions.

~Tushar