Solved! Go to solution

Auto ballooning to assembly file names (it appears only child part numbers are available)

I would like to use the Property Text on a draft to automatically drive the balloons to the part number that is being referenced in the Parts list.  Unfortunately I can only find a way for it to reference to the part or .psm level - not the assembly level.  For weldments and assemblies I am currently hand typing over the coding of %{File Name (no extension)|GP}.  Any ideas?

7 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author tonyab
‎02-11-2016 11:41 AM

Re: Auto ballooning to assembly file names (it appears only child part numbers are available)

Use named reference as shown?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP6 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Auto ballooning to assembly file names (it appears only child part numbers are available)

Ok, that works great but is there an easier way when putting these balloons on drafts to not have to go back into the Property Text screen and flip settings back and forth for each item?  We may have an assembly with 50 or more parts that need ballooned.  This seems like this would be a tedious task to go in and set these each time.  For parts it would be simple but for assemblies this would take a lot of clicking in and out.  Thanks for any help you can offer!

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author tonyab
‎02-11-2016 11:41 AM

It depends how the BOM is formatted. If in list control you select include assembly as a single item then you can use a simpler "graphic connection" setting in the balloon or callout. Then you can copy the balloon and point it to other assemblies and have it automatically show the assy name.

This is one reason I wish balloons had saved style capability. Callouts do so if you don't care about the balloon outline use callouts.

Bruce Shand

You can use property text in balloons. You just need to switch off the "Balloon - Item Number" and replace the Upper box value with the property text. You will probably have to use the "No Shape" or "Underline" style for the balloon though.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

That's what we were talking about and the shape expands.

Bruce Shand

Oops, didn't read the replies carefully enough did I.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

[ Edited ]

NP. Sorry if it sounded like I was bichin'.

@tonyab, did you follow my second post on another way to do it?

Bruce Shand