Auto scale 1st sketch

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have an odd question. Is there a way to make SE "auto scale" the first sketch once the 1st dimension is placed? It was a small, but really handy upadate in Solidworks '14. 

From SW update list. 

6. Auto-Scale First Sketch

How many times have you drawn the first sketch and when you added the first dimension entities went flying all over the place? Would it not be better to automatically scale that first sketch to match the first dimension added? After all, that would determine the size of your part. Well, SolidWorks does this auto-scaling automatically for you. I believe that this little enhancement will save users the most time, without them even noticing it. 

video link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ1fzhxDA90#t=232 

just in case I did a bad job of explaining it. 

Thank you. 

11 REPLIES

Re: Auto scale 1st sketch

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That's a handy enhancement.  Let me know what your ER # is and I'll sign up for it.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Phenom
Phenom

That's really not an enhancement I would want. To me it looks like a workaround to something more rudimentary, like delaying the sketch update until you are ready.

I have to give SW credit for making it look like "magic"- I think that was the word the narrator gave to the "feature". In reality it is a hidden macro type function.

Like I mentioned what you are really looking for is a delay setting/function in the solver. Turn off the solver until I have what I need dimensions and then turn on the solver to calculate. I know that this is a Solid Edge forum but this type of functionality has existed for some time ( at least 5 versions if not more) in NX product.

Like Ken, I'd sign up for the ER in Solid Edge. I'm used to it!

8-5-2014 8-51-22 PM.png

Pioneer
Pioneer

So this "feature" isn't possible in SE? But it is in NX? What are you guys refering to by ER#?

Sorry for all the comparisons to SW. At my old job, of 2+ years, I used SW and became very familar with it. Starting at a new job and my new employers are preparing to switch to SE. So my job is to explore and learn SE so I can help the rest of the engineering dept. with SE. 

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Yes, Auto scale is very useful (introduced in AI2013 and SW2014), but SE doesn't provide this.

A tip:

If you have a complex sketch with a dimension then I suggest to use Scale command to set the "main" size what is tied to shape. Yes, there are some extra mouse clicks, but the sketch won't be "messy"! 

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Pioneer
Pioneer

That's helpful, but not exactly what I was looking for. But thank you for the tip. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What NX has is a command to turn off the automatic updating of the sketch relationships.  Solid Edge has the same thing which is called "Automatic Update" (found on the Tools tab, Update section).  When ON, everything updates as changes occur, when OFF, you have to either turn it back on or use the "Update Releationships" (CTRL+U) command.  If this is OFF in Assembly, then Assembly Relationships will not solve until it is back ON or an Update Relationships is issued.

An ER stands for an Enhancement Request.  This is generated when you log with GTAC (Siemens PLM Support) or your VAR logs on your behalf with GTAC an IR (Incedent Report)  asking for a change to how Solid Edge currently works.  Alternatively, if you log an IR on a bug, this generates a PR (Problem Report).

ER's and PR's are what get changes made in Solid Edge.  Obviously PR's are more important because they are a bug, and are often the reason they issue the Maintenance Patches.  In fact if you look at the README for each MP, it contains a list of PR's that were fixed.  ER's are ranked on desireability based on several factors including the number of users who ask for them, Sales requests, competitive pressure and how they fit in with the vision of the product.  These are normally what you see in a new version of Solid Edge along with other planned enhancements/new stuff.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This is indeed handy. And don't apologize for coming up with SolidWorks "little" stuff. This is really handy for us. We have lots of folks coming from SolidWorks and often get the big picture differences (object/action vs action/object) and some of the medium size ones (things like measure and holes which were arguably better in SW vs SE ST6 -- addressed in ST7) but sometimes the little things make the most difference. 

Don't be shy. We WANT your input!

DS

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Pioneer
Pioneer

How would I go about suggesting this change to SE? (by ER,IR, or whatever is applicable). I would like to see this "auto update" feature in future versions of SE, because I believe that this little feature would be very handy for alot of users. 

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@SW -- about filing an ER. Whoever is the "CAD Manager" or "CAD lead" at your company should know how to do this. If they do not, we need to address this also and make sure your company is well connected with your "Solid Edge Partner". Your SE Partner sold you the software, but also gets a cut of your maintenance check and is supposed to be there for you. So it would be good to check with your CAD lead first and we'll go from there...

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development