Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD lineweight translation to Solid Edge draft

Creator
Creator

When using an Autocad drawing (schematic) in a Solid Edge draft, whether it is inserted or pasted in, the lineweight translation is sporadic. Sometimes it carries over, sometimes it does not. When it does not carry over the AutoCAD lineweights are barely visible when printing.

Anybody have any insight on this?

Solid Edge does not play nice with AutoCAD...

Thanks

J.Liebert
Mitsubishi Electric
ST10 MP2
Insight
Win10
6 REPLIES

Re: AutoCAD lineweight translation to Solid Edge draft

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Did you experiment with options in the Acad to SE translator?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator

I'm not familiar?

J.Liebert
Mitsubishi Electric
ST10 MP2
Insight
Win10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

When you open a .dwg in SE, SE uses a translation file and you access its options in the open dialog.

See photo. But I'm not expert enough to tell you whether the control you need is there.

seacad options.JPG

Bruce Shand

Creator
Creator

Oh, right. I have looked through those the options but will check again, it's been a while.

Thanks!

J.Liebert
Mitsubishi Electric
ST10 MP2
Insight
Win10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If all else fails, in SE you might be able to mass select/change the offending entities using the "smart select" tool. But that depends on whether they are identical widths, part of blocks, etc.

smartselect.JPG

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

Hi Jordan,

Are you getting consistent drawings made to a standard when you import? It should be possible to customise the SEACAD file to allow it to import and export so lineweights will translate across so it is consistent as it can be. You can set it to import all colours as black? If its standard AutoCAD practise of using colour to define line thickness, it can be specified as well.

I have had issues with the translator wizard however. If you make any changes, you'll have to check that the rest of it stays consistent. I have found that when I have changed something on the first page of the wizard, it changes all of my settings back to default.

Shane Murray
ST10 MP2