AutoCad Import

I am going through a job, where I have to import AutoCad 2D drawings and convert them to Solid Edge, modify them, and then export again to AutoCad.  I import the drawings, but the text is all trashed.  Some should be left justified, but isn't.  Some should be center justified, but isn't.   Also, the import does not size the text box to the text, so the text boxes are all gigantic and off the page.  Is there some preference that can be set, so that I don't have to go through all the gyrations of modifying the text position, alignment, and text box sizes?

11 REPLIES

Re: AutoCad Import

Hi @mdamson,

I get this in some ACAD file imports also, and can't identify what the issue[s] is [are].....and for me, it can be mixed results in the same file....where some texts are, and some aren't as expected.

No real help, sorry....just sharing in your pain.  Robot Frustrated

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Have you gone through the AutoCad to Solid Edge Translation Wizard (selecting the Options button in File-Open) prior to opening the files?  If you haven't done this and played with some of the settings, I would look at this first.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

That is my experience exactly.  Some text is perfectly positioned, and others are flung to the winds.

What Grayson said. Can you upload an example dwg file?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I have played with the options, but there isn't really any option regarding text positions, or justification within a textbox.  I cannot upload a file, as they are confidential.

[ Edited ]

Not a lot of spare time to search for a good example, but the attached is one such odd import result.

Opened file with E-Drawings [no ACAD on my machine]:

Opened with SE:

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

We are using ST5 and an old Autocad 2D Verion that we still use when someone needs/wants to open an old DWG file created years ago...

We receive DWG files from Customers containing rail plan infrastructure. Some files are under 1 MB and some are 30 MB.

We are working in a managed environement. To open such DWG files with Autocad it takes secondes, but it's not the case when using Solid Edge then to open a DWG it takes more than 30 minutes!

I tried to save the DWG's localy on C: and to open them from there. There is a "big" difference... It's really better to work so but we need better results through:

Autodesk and Siemens to increase software interoperability

Yasser

That's a start, but I am sure we won't be seeing it for several versions.

Yeah Sean, that's a mess. FYI, Draftsight is a decent free Acad clone.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200