Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated part material

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Is there any way in solid edge that I can use automated material for parts?

Suppose I have a 10 mm plate part. When I will change the plate thcikness to 16mm, the material will be automatically change to 16mm. Generally I have to manually change or create material and assign every time. In this case, there occurs errors several times that I have changed the part thickness but not changed the material. So I need an automated way, like material will be connected with thickness variables. Similarly for frame profiles I want automated way, If i change profile sketch, the materail will be automatically updated.

@Tushar, @hawcad, can you please suggest me?

Regards,

Aslam

11 REPLIES

Betreff: Automated part material

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @aslam

for PMS parts You have an option to use "gages".

Doing so will Change the thickness too.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @hawcad for your reply.
Is there any solution for .par parts?

Regards,
Aslam

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @marcboom @bshand @MattJohnson_PG @arekkul @Imics

I am not sure if you have checked this post or not. I f not, can you please check and suggest me?

Regards,
Aslam

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@aslam, I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're asking.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

HI @aslam

no there is no direct solution for a part, and to be honest , I think this also doesn't make sense to have so.

The material property is a physical property while the thickness etc. is a geometrical property which does not belong to the material/physical props.

You can have one and the same material in several shapes.

What You are looking for is a different unique proeprty e.g. raw material, which could be selected from a list and with that list to different values are set to the appropriate values.

The physical material with taht material props and the geometrical base proeprty like thickness etc.

But this is a matter of a different approach and a matter of and extra solution by a macro etc.

I would not like to combine those into one single issue.

Since this would result in an metarial tabel with one physicla item and 100s of geometrical raw materials from thatr.

So from my point of view this gets a clear "NO, don't do that!"

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @bshand, sorry I couldn't make myself clear.
Hello @hawcad, I may disappoint you. I want to clarify my situation.

Generally the material in my part list for plates is like '10 mm PLATE'. For any shape, and any size. The material of part list always express the thickness of plate in my drawing. I have to reuse those plates frequently and have to change plate thickness when needed. The problem is when I change plate thickness, I always have to manually reassign material that will reflect the new thickness. And several times it happened that, I have changed the plate thickness, but I missed or forgot to manually change the material. So in my drawing, the side view of plate shows dimension like 10 mm but the part list shows it's old material like '16 mm PLATE'. For that reason I was seeking for automated material.

The issue is, I don't have to use complicated material for parts. Just simply plate thickness. So I thought If it would be possible to automate material assigning connected to plate thickness, it will help me to avoid errors.

If you have any suggestion to solve the issue, please suggest me. It will be a great help.

Regards,
Aslam

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello ,

I found a different solution for specially my case.

For a plate part 3d I have to follow these steps.

1. Remove material from plate part 3d
2. Assign a custom property. Name: TYPE, Value: PLATE
3. Expose the thickness variable as 'Material'
4. Assign this property text in my part list's Material column: %{Material|G}%{TYPE/CP|G}%{ Material/CP/@0|G}

It is giving me exactly what I want for plate parts, and cause no harm to other part materials as well.

Please let me know your comments.
Hi , I want to know your comments also.

Regards,
Aslam

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @aslam

Glad that you found a solution. It seems quite innovative!

I do very less modeling but more of coding, so may not be the best person to comment or verify if it works for me.

But nevetheless, you have done a great job !  

And anything that works for you - is definitely useful for many.

Regards,

Tushar

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @Tushar for your comments.
I thank to my senior colleague Shihab for his contribution. Step no. 2 was his idea to bring PLATE text in the material.

Thanks all for your time.

Regards,
Aslam