Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic incremental backup files

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello all,

We know that SE always delets autobackup files when the file is saved.

I want to keep all incremental backup files, so that I can use any previous files.

The reason is, recently we are facing file corruption issue. For example, an assembly file is corrupted though it was perfectly saved. The auto backup system was not helpful as all backup files are erased by SE after the file was saved.

We are finding an effective automatic backup system. Like Auto Cad, it keeps all backup files always saved in C drive with .$ file extension.

Please suggest us.

Regards,

Aslam

5 REPLIES 5

Betreff: Automatic incremental backup files

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I @aslam

I would try to save those backup files onto a server system where shadowing is turned on for let me say a day so that all those files should be recoverable for a day.

regards
Wolfgang

It would be useful to have consecutive versioning a la Creo/ProE as an option at least.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @hawcad, @bshand for your replies.

We started to use a different process as a solution for this issue recently.
When we are starting a project, we are doing as follows:

We are using free version of backup app 'EaseUs To do Backup' to backup the project folder.
We make a task 'Incremental backup' for that project folder which will take a full backup at starting of a working day and then it will take incremental backup at every one hour.

We make another task 'full backup' for that project which will take full backup at end of a working day.

We keep backup settings of SE at every 30 minutes. The reason is it will keep a unsaved file if SE crashes.
(On the other hand the backup app will save all files at definite intervals as per our settings.)

We keep the app settings as the app starts those two tasks and ends every day until we stop/delete those backup tasks when the project ends. This app saves the backups in .pbd format which can be browsed simply in windows folder and restored with the app. This format saves hard disk space.

We think this process serves the purpose.

Regards,
Aslam

@aslam I suppose that would be fine for an unmanaged (PDM/PLM) system.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @bshand for mentioning the issue.

Soon we will enter into SE BiDM system.
We think we will start keeping incremental backup of Vault at regular intervals every day. And we will keep full backup of vault twice daily. We will use the previously mentioned app.

Regards,
Aslam