Solved! Go to solution

Automatically create PDF from dft

[ Edited ]

Hello,

We want to create PDF from all our drawings overnight (or on the spot if possible) without any user intervention. The drawings are spread in many subfolders, so all drawings must be checked.

If the PDF don't exist, create one.

If the PDF exists already, but drawing is modiefied since then, create new one and overwrite old PDF.

What would be our best way to go? Preferable a software we can buy? We have only SE Classic licenses. We need those PDF up to date for other departments to consult and to use for commercial purposes.

19 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Johan
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Automatically create PDF from dft

Hi Johan,

You might use the batch macro in custom directory with a PDF printer as default but You also can take one of my old macros SE_Export.

This will allow You either to have a button within the draft bar or there is also the batch_export_all-drafts.exe which exactly will do You are looking for.

After unpacking the zip file You will find an INI file also, where everthing could be defined You want.

Whee the PDFs should be stored, how the name should be generated - You also can use proeprties for building the filename, together wiht date and time, wether there must be a certain status of the draft before it could be saved as pdf or wether the PDF might be overwritten automatically.

I hope the lines in the INI are self explaining enough but dont hesitate to ask if something is not clear.

Hope it helps

And here is the link:

http://www.cadcam-consult.com/Files/Solid_Edge/SE_PDF.zip

And since it has no size it will be attached here also

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

Many thanks,

- Does it overwrite all PDF's or just the ones with modified drafts files? We have thousands of drawings there, so...

Hi Johan,

You can try batch.exe, for dft converting

"C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST6\Custom\Batch\Bin\Batch.exe"

[ Edited ]

Your program would be perfect for me, if:

- It would have the option only to overwrite the PDF if the draft is more recent than the PDF.

- it would be a command line exe file (without a start button), so we can use it with WinCron (scheduler)

Hi Johan,

I will consider the changes and modification, but I can not promise it,

to have been done in the next couple of days

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

Would this be a good solution?

Replace the standard Save button in SE Drafts environnement by a button that does the "normal" saves + Saves a PDF to a specific location. Can that be done easilly?

HI,

this is, what the SEPDF.exe should be used.

So You also will find the entry [Ende]

which is, what should be done after the PDF export.

0 = no action

1 = save the draft after the PDF export

2 = save and quit Solid Edge

This is, what I am using that macro in normal draft environment

Before there is the section Auto which let You decide what should happen if the PDF alreadsy exists.

0 = no, You will be asked

1 = do automatically overwrite the PDF

Log

This was done for a certain case, where it was necessary to create an additional log file after the PDF to show that PDF export is done for an ERP system

Name

How should the name be created

I am using the standard Property place holders and %{Date} and %{Time} additional props

Ausgabe

the pathname for the PDF output

There is a place holder %{Dateipfad} for the path of the draft itself

Hope this helps

regards

Wolfgang

I'm no expert, but I would go look at what Adobe has to offer for PDF management.

Yes, buts its so easy to get in touch with Adobe :-)

No email address on their site, nothing...