Automatically save PDF copy?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible to automatically save a PDF copy (same location/path as the original file) when saving a new or existing drawing (replace if drawing already exist)? Some of my co-workers always ask for PDF copies and it would be much easier for them, to grap it on our server - but I want to make sure they automatically get the latest copy. So it would be great if the software (or an addon) can automatically save (and replace) the drawing as PDF when I do a normal save.

I hope you guys understand my question Smiley Happy

Regards,

Kenneth

17 REPLIES

Re: Automatically save PDF copy?

Phenom
Phenom

It will be possible but...

CAAP made an add-on that saves your draft as dwg and pdf, but prompts for an overwrite.

Couldn't you install the free SE viewer on the computers of your co-workers?

Less hassle, less space on the server, less files,...

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Phenom
Phenom

I wrote something in VB a long time ago to do the PDF save, and then swapped out the standard Save button in the menu with this macro....however, I agree with Joris. Having struggled through the same issue and the same request for 'up to date' PDF's from other colleagues, it was a ton of extra work and resulted in several errors when PDF's were not updated or were not generated, causing them to pull the wrong print.

Get them the Solid Edge Viewer and make them use it. It isn't just convenience for you- it will keep you all from making mistakes.

-Dylan Gondyke

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I will ask them to use SE Viewer then.

Thanks for the suggestions Smiley Happy

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I suggest you to use JT2go viewer, and share assemblies or parts saved as .jt Smiley Happy

Less lag than 3d pdf, and search function included! which is not included in any pdf app.. 

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

There is a tool that works as an Addin in Solid Edge it is called "SeAdvancedSave"

It starts on every save action (Save, Save as, Save copy, etc.)

Highly customizable:

Feature Overview:

• Creates folder- and file names based on custom rules - E.g. combine the values of different part properties to your folder or file name
  • Saves automatically in all predefined file formats e.g. IGES, PDF, STEP, XT, DXF, etc - 
  • Post processing available like creating stamps or watermarks in PDFs
  • Creates automatically the flatten DXF from sheet metal parts

For more details or demo version send me an email!

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Pioneer
Pioneer
where can I find this tool ?

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

There is no public download available yet!

Just drop me an email and I will send it to you!

There are some request about the SW right know but until now I have to handle it this way!

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Stefan,

I would be very interested to test it.

Sending you an email Smiley Happy

Regards

Kenneth

Phenom
Phenom

Use a PDM system! Have a task setup to generate pdf when you check-in your file or move to a released state! Smiley Happy