Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Automatically save PDF copy?

Pioneer
Pioneer
This has to be a free simple macro solution for me as I can not install any additional software ... I believe the Batch macro that comes with Solid Edge could be somehow modified to do something like this

Legend
Legend

Use a PDM system is not always the options we have, we don't have $10k+ in our budget to dump on servers and software.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You could do something very low tech and “free” [free as in software investment, not free as in you don''t have to do anything to get it working] simply by using the Solid Edge command line translator and some form of monitoring for changed Solid Edge files.

If you want ”instantaneous” PDF files, then you could use a free folder monitoring utility that will watch for changed Solid Edge files and automatically launch the Solid Edge command line translator every time a file is changed. However, such an instantaneous solution would cause a lot of file churn and processing.

Or you could implement a simple batch script to log/list all changed Solid Edge files since the last run and then feed the results into the Solid Edge command line translator. The script could be set up as an automated task to run every X hours such that there is only a short delay between the Solid Edge file being changed and the updated PDF file being available to other departments. In return for small delay you minimize file churn and over processing.

As a former customer I've implemented such solutions for multiple former employers with much success. However, such low-brow solutions do come with limitations and downsides that purchased solutions typically overcome. You start then running into issues and concerns over ensuring that only released or needed data is made available, how to watermark the viewable files as “for reference only”, etc...

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Free software does not mean free of costs!

You will save the money for purchasing the software but usually you will pay the price in limited functions, more effort in configuration, less support, etc.

Invest of working hours is also money.

For every investment you have to ask yourself "When do I get my invested money back?"

I would always invest 1 Million $ if I see I get 2 Million $ back because of better quality, higher productivity, smooth work flows, less working hours for double work, ..

So maybe the is to ask:

What is the perfect solution I am looking for?

What is the solution worth to me?

Is this investment cost or will it pay?

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Siemens Phenom

Stefan, agreed -- see both my opening sentence and closing statement ;-)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Dave, you keep mentioning the "Solid Edge command line translator".  I'm familiar with those that convert to from SE for things like IGES and ACIS, but is there a generic exe for all formats including PDF (2D) and if so, got documentation?

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Siemens Phenom

Ken,  I can neither confirm or deny that there is a command line translator but if I were to go looking for such a beast I might check out "SolidEdgeTranslationServices.exe" ;-)

See these GTAC Solution Center and Newsletter articles for more detail.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi all,

as 15 years Siemens PLM solution provider I'm offering for download a free Solid Edge add-in solution that creates a PDF on each save of a DFT document.

The zip-file contains a readme file in English and German.

Download link: http://www.wksyspro.de/download/AutoPdfSeAddIn.zip

Kind regards,
Wolfgang Kunert - www.wksyspro.de