Automation: Automatically DXF Parts from Assembly(s)

Hi guys,

I created a new tool for automatically dxfing parts from an assembly. Check out this video and let me know what you think!

http://youtu.be/xTw_06qREdI

9 REPLIES

Re: Automation: Automatically DXF Parts from Assembly(s)

Very, very, polished!

I hide the application and display a progress bar with my DXF export tool, so the screen is not constantly jumping around and so the display does not have to load.

-Dylan Gondyke

How do you guys cater for differing material types & thicknesses in the output DXF files?....or do you just manually sort these into folders afterwards??

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

The way I do it is....have the addin insert text as 'etch' lines into the DXF with material type and thickness from the part properties. When our parts get imported to the Laser software, the text is readable but doesn't get chained for laser cutting, even if it overlaps the profile. (I just insert the text at a set XY offset from the origin, regardless of where the part profile is.) This way, when the material/thickness is entered in the laser software, you merely have to look at the display screen for the profile.

-Dylan Gondyke

Our sheet metal psm files that are designed to be cut, all begin with a specific number.  The autoDXF has the option to select prefixes so that only our intended files get dxf’ed.  Our stock parts begin with another number, therefore these files are omitted from the options and not dxf’ed.  Files with assembly reports turned off in the assembly occurrence properties are not dxf’ed.  We place all of the dxf files in the same root directory as the assembly.  The dxf file is given the same name as the sheet metal part.  Also, any sheet metal part that is not in the same directory comes back with a failure warning “File not local”.  We do all of this so that all files needed are all in the same place so the operator.  All of this minimizes the likely hood of out of date dxf files or a selection of the wrong file in the wrong place.

We use another automation software that generates our flat pattern documentation from the assembly.  The software generates a page for each material type and thickness and places each flat pattern within the assembly in the appropriate page of the draft document.

We are then working on a final piece of software that will validate our nests vs atomic parts list to confirm that all files are nested with the appropriate quantities and on the appropriate material.

The autoDXF software can be customized to cater specific needs like this.  I think it would be easy for you to include the material name as part of the dxf file or separate them in separate directories if that is what is desired.

Chally72 wrote:

The way I do it is....have the addin insert text as 'etch' lines into the DXF with material type and thickness from the part properties. When our parts get imported to the Laser software, the text is readable but doesn't get chained for laser cutting, even if it overlaps the profile. (I just insert the text at a set XY offset from the origin, regardless of where the part profile is.) This way, when the material/thickness is entered in the laser software, you merely have to look at the display screen for the profile.

I too use etch to write stuff on the dxf , but we use the etch to actually engrave the part # on the real life part. But we also need to write informaton(thickness/material) only on the dxf that won't be engraved. How do I seperate the two of them. I tried a callout but it dosnt appear on the dxf.

ST9
Conveyor and industrial equipment designer.
Giving SE a chance.

I could not find a nice solution to doing this without writing a VB program to handle DXF export, which I did back in 2011. This is easy using automation, because you can insert text into the DXF driven directly from the file properties for material and thickness, and simply use a line type that is not 'chained' when brought into the laser software. 

-Dylan Gondyke

[ Edited ]

Ok, So there's a part of your program that happense after the DXF is created?HAven't thought of that.Just starting to handle solid edge automation , now I have to get into automating autocad.

ST9
Conveyor and industrial equipment designer.
Giving SE a chance.

That's correct. Through automation, I create the DXF, then open it and simply insert text, driven from the sheet metal file properties, at a fixed offset from the origin. This geometry is displayed, but ignored, when bringing it into my laser software. I use it for material and thickness values, so I don't have to toggle back and forth between a BOM and my laser software when updating the laser files. 

This is really dependent on how your laser software handles different element types, but I would pursue this kind of solution if you can.

-Dylan Gondyke

Hi, I would really like to try this out! Would it be possible? =)

Many thanks in advance!