BOM report and none modeled items

Experimenter
Experimenter

I need to create a BOM report of a full system and add into it items that are not modeled in the assembly. Items like cables and bolts (I try to minimize bolts in the model to make it lighter).

I wish that these items will show in the BOM report just as any other part with title, custom properties etc.

I'm trying to find the best way to add them to the assembly. I found two possible ways to do so:

• Virtual components:

I can add virtual parts using the "visual component structure editor". The problem is that virtual part will only have "name" and no other value in the report.

• Empty part:
    Save an empty file for every none modeled item, edit it's properties and don't add any body into it. This works but I don't know if it will have any effect on the assembly when adding many of these parts.

Can you share how do you handle this issue?

Zohar

7 REPLIES

Re: BOM report and none modeled items

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As for items like bolts if you have at least one of every type used in the assembly you could change the quantity override in occurrence properties so the bom quantity reflects the desired total. As for empty parts I don't know what problems could occur but I would think none.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Betreff: BOM report and none modeled items

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @ZoharML

I think, that Virtual Components are not the right way what You are looing for.

Wether bolts, nuts, etc. are vaild or practiable parts for this, might not be the question.

But, if You are looking for items in a bom which are not inserted/modeled in Your ASM than look for

"Non-Graphical Parts" in the help documentation.

You can put them into Your asm (best is sing the CTRL-LMB to bring in (so they are grounded automaticvally)

and You can define the quantity number for them as You need it.

There are even different props for them to not only use quantity number but length, mass, area or whatever measure value for them are necessary

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@hawcadI had assumed that's what he meant by "empty" parts but that's not necessarily the case so you make a good point.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @bshand

but I have to agree to Your input as I haven't read so far.

I only have seen "Virtaul Components" and "Structure Editor"

I think "Empty Parts" are going into the direction of "Non-Graphical Parts" and therefore this might be the right way to do.

The information about is a little bit hidden in the help docu, but a search (F1) for "Non-Graphic" always bring me to the correct information page.

There are 2 user defined properties to enter in the NG part:

SE_ASSEMBLY_QUANTITY_OVERRIDE

SE_ASSEMBLY_QUANTITY_STRING

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

See my post in this thread -

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/User-defined-quantity-won-t-persist...

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks,

This is what I was thinking in "empty part", and its great to see it as a work flow in the help system.

I'm not sure that I will use the SE_ASSEMBLY_QUANTITY_OVERRIDE & SE_ASSEMBLY_QUANTITY_STRING

Because in the BOM report the quantity  shows as 4.00 and not 4. 

I will probebly just go with parts with no model in them, and change the "user-defined quantity" to yes when there is a need for that.

Zohar

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think, to not use SE_ASSEMBLY_QUANTITY_STRING will the bom count the part quantity as normal

regards
Wolfgang