BOM shows different parts for mirrored parts versus original

Creator
Creator

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question... but I have mirrored parts in my assembly so I expect that in the draft environment, I should see the original and mirrored parts summed up to the combined total and shown under the original part name. However, what I see is the original and mirrored parts listed separately (with half the number of parts). Does anyone know how to over come this. I hate having to insert all the parts manually just because my client doesn't like to have the same part shown twice.

Thanks,

John

5 REPLIES

Re: BOM shows different parts for mirrored parts versus original

Creator
Creator

You've probably noticed that there are different outcomes when mirroring.

If SE creates a mirrored part then that will affect your BOM

Go back to your assembly and try to get SE to Rotate a copy rather than mirror

Let us know if this helps

Edging since V18

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If the mirrored part could be a rotation of the originals part, I think they will show up as a single line item w/ qty 2. If there is anything making the two unique, like being sheet metal bent backwards, they will have the same flat, be cut the same in flat, but because the bending is reversed, become different line items.

I gave up on using mirror as much as possible and have gone to just re-modeling mirrored parts. Mainly because I make models that need to be edited later. If I have a mirror, then I can't edit one without effecting the other. So I always have the mirror as a new line item from the original. This also gives me consistence in the drawings no matter if an extra hole is needed or not. 

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Depending on your geometry, a mirrored part is not necessarily the same geometry as a rotation of the geometry. For some geometry, a mirrored part can result in geometry that then cannot be manufactured on the same tooling as the original part, hence why you have two separate line items.

Creator
Creator

This makes sense now. These are 90 degree quick connects which are being mirror so of course it would be considered a different part.

12GAGE wrote:

If the mirrored part could be a rotation of the originals part, I think they will show up as a single line item w/ qty 2. If there is anything making the two unique, like being sheet metal bent backwards, they will have the same flat, be cut the same in flat, but because the bending is reversed, become different line items.

I gave up on using mirror as much as possible and have gone to just re-modeling mirrored parts. Mainly because I make models that need to be edited later. If I have a mirror, then I can't edit one without effecting the other. So I always have the mirror as a new line item from the original. This also gives me consistence in the drawings no matter if an extra hole is needed or not. 

Creator
Creator

Thanks to everyone for replying! I wasn't able to use the mirroring, but at least now I know why.