Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to view rotation

Phenom
Phenom

OK.

I want to thank everyone for the view rotate options in one of my recent postings. 

Now, I'm dealing with a wire harness assembly and it's a rather large assembly. I am working in one specific area of the model. I have been using the middle mouse button rotation method but it has several challenges. One, it takes time to do that and secondly sometimes when you are in the middle of assembling components you get confused on what is selected as a face and the highlighted face that you are going to use a view rotation. Yes, I know a space ball will allow better rotation..but I don't it isn't realistic to require an additional piece of hardware to do something so simple.

My question is simple. Is there a way to define a roation point and have it be consistent/active until I decide to deactive the rotation point? That would go a loooong way in working in smaller area of a large model. Now, to add insult to injury..big brother CAD has had this option for over a decade! ;-)

7 REPLIES

Re: Back to view rotation

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @RyanM,

Hoipefully this video helps......the "Rotate" command will persist [point, or axis] until it is dismissed.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

@SeanCresswell is spot-on!

@RyanM The Rotate command does exactly what you have asked for

Phenom
Phenom

Hey, can you check to see if the Rotate stays consitent when you move into another command. I noticed in the video that the Command bar didn't move off of rotate. I want to be able to set the view point, enter into a different command, rotate using the mouse button (but rotate about the defined point) and the continue with the existing command or move on to another command.

Phenom
Phenom

Let's try this again.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)
waiting....waiting for video to load.......hurry up please....nope! It's not liking my video tonight.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

I am afraid, No.

The rotate command does not retain the last used edge/vertex between commands.

Or at least I could not get it to work that way.

I will give it another shot in a while.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @RyanM

and the use of the Middle Mouse Button as described in the old post will not help?

At least the rotation point/axis is active as long as YOu will not use any fixed view.

See video attached as zip at following post:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/rotate-view-about/m-p/448379/highli...

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

To some degree but when you are in the middle of creating a path in the wire harness command that last thing you want to be doing is clicking additional mouse button when defing a path. The path tool is a pain to start with.