Solved! Go to solution

Background Color in ST9

We are in the process of upgrading from Solid Edge ST6 to ST9 and I have a question about customizing the User Interface.

In ST6 (and before) a user could specify the background color to their liking which would override the setting within any given file. This was done on the Colors tab of the Options dialog. 

ST6 Colors.jpg

The user could select whatever background color they wanted and every file they opened appeared with that background color regardless of how the file had been saved by the last user. For example, I could set the templates with the default black/white gradient but Joe set his machine to have solid white background and every file he opened appeared to have a solid white background. Fred, who preferred a solid blue background, could open that very same file and have a solid blue background. Now, each user must either live with the file as is or change every file they open. 

Is there a way to do this in ST9?

6 REPLIES

Re: Background Color in ST9

Yes.  Notice the new button on top to change the Background/View Overrides?  Click it and the form will come up, click Background tab, select Solid option, and set the color.

2017-01-12_8-07-12.png

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

I am aware of that functionality but it is not the same thing. That function changes the background color for the specific file that you are working on at the moment. The older functionality changed the appearance of the background in every file that you opened, regardless of how the individual file was set. 

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bert303
‎01-12-2017 05:05 PM

[ Edited ]

It is exactly the same as prior versions.  You may be confused as someone may have gradient applied to a file and in those cases the solid background would never show in any version until you changed the background option to Solid, but your Solid color will be what you set it to in any file that you open later.

See Video:

(view in My Videos)

Ken Grundey

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that explanation! I never would have guessed that it had anything to do with gradient vs. solid. 

We have always used solid color backgrounds so I never noticed the difference until I tried switching to gradient. 

I don't much like the answer but at least I understand it now. 

I don't either.  Doesn't make sense that one option is file specific and the other is user specific.  I think both (plus image) should be user specific just like the Solid background.

ER 5243360 asks that the Gradient background setting be a user setting instead of a file setting just like the solid background is.  Call your VAR or GTAC and ask to be appended to this ER if it is of interest to you.

Ken Grundey

There should be a tool on this forum for adding support to ER's.

I should be able to see that other have the same issues as myself and be able to add my vote to get "whatever" added to the action list of ER's to add to the software.

I would be more motivated to add ER's if I thought I could get support or find out that I'm alone and no chance of getting the enhancement. No is a better response than "It's in our file"