Background Colour

ST8

Since I have installed ST8 when I open assembly/part models the background colour is White. In the past this was a gradient. How do I get it to default to gradient background? I'm sure in old versions there was an option in Solid Edge Colours tab.

Thanks Graham

14 REPLIES

Re: Background Colour

The setting for this can be found at View->View Overrides->Background. Set this in your template file make it persistent.

Jason

Jason

I have this set in the background colour in the template files. It all works fine with ST8 created assemblies but when opening ST7 models in ST8 the backgrounds are always white Smiley Sad I then have to do the view overides in each assembly which is a ball ache!

I'm sure this never used to be the case or have I missed something?

Thanks

G

[ Edited ]

It's file specific so the settings stick with the part, asm, etc.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

We don't normally use gradient backgounds, but I create a new file in ST7 using the default ansi inch part.par template.  That file has gradient turned on, and when I open it in ST8 the gradient background is shown.

I am not sure how to test this more.

Jason

Gradient backgrounds are always file specific, regardless of the user settings in Options -> Colors -> Background settings

Solid backgrounds are both file and user specific and will change the solid background colour based on the user settings being set to a solid colour  in Options -> Colors -> Background.

Therefore, if the user has options set to a gradient background and opens an existing file with a solid background, that file will not open with a gradient background but will still open with a solid background.

However, if the user has the options set to a solid background and opens the same existing file with a solid background, the solid background color will change to match the solid background color specified in the user settings.

So for your existing ST7 files still opening with a solid background, at some point these files were created or changed to have a solid background.

In order for you to resolve this you will have to open every file with solid backgrounds, and individually set the gradient background in Options -> Colors -> Background for each file and save it.

@uk_dave On previous versions were you able to set the background colour in the options tab?

I'm sure this was a setting.

I have thousands of models that open with white backgrounds so opening and closing isn't an option Smiley Sad

@redcad And you still can do this.  I stated that solid backgrounds are a user specific setting.  However, solid backgrounds are also a file specific setting.

To clarify:

File1 - created and saved with a solid white background 

File2 - created and saved with a gradient background

User1 - has his/her user settings to default to a solid white background 

User2 - has his/her user settings to default to a solid black background 

User3 - has his/her user settings to default to a gradient background

User1 opens File1 -- sees a solid white background because the file background is solid so then the solid background is then changed to honour the user settings for solid background colour

User1 open File2 -- sees a gradient background because the file background is set to gradient

User2 opens File1 -- sees a solid *black* background because the file background is solid so then the solid background is then changed to honour the user settings for solid background colour

User2 open File2 -- sees a gradient background because the file background is set to gradient

User3 opens File1 -- sees a solid white background because the file background is set to a solid colour and the user settings are *not* set to a different solid background colour

User3 open File2 -- sees a gradient background because the file background is set to gradient

You will only get changing background colours if the file is saved with a solid background colour and the user has their settings set to a different solid background colour.

@uk_dave that is what should happen. However, I understood Redcad to say that when User3 opens a File2 from ST7 he gets a solid white background. Opening an ST8 file he gets gradient background. Is that correct Redcad?