Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Colour

Pioneer
Pioneer

I've always had a gradient as a background colour.  I'm using ST10 and when I open up models created on previous versions the background colour in parts and assemblies is Solid Black.

What do I need to do to ensure all models open with a gradient background going forward?

Thanks

Graham

7 REPLIES

Re: Background Colour

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This was the same question that @redcad asked back in 2016 in one of those above referenced threads after moving to ST8.  Nothing has changed between ST8 and ST10 in regards to the answers provided, which was...

Gradient backgrounds are always file specific, regardless of the user settings in Options -> Colors -> Background settings

Solid backgrounds are both file and user specific and will change the solid background colour based on the user settings being set to a solid colour  in Options -> Colors -> Background.

Therefore, if the user has options set to a gradient background and opens an existing file with a solid background, that file will not open with a gradient background but will still open with a solid background.

However, if the user has the options set to a solid background and opens the same existing file with a solid background, the solid background color will change to match the solid background color specified in the user settings.

So for your existing files still opening with a solid background, at some point these files were created or changed to have a solid background.

In order for you to resolve this you will have to open every file with solid backgrounds, and individually set the gradient background in Options -> Colors -> Background for each file and save it.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Dave

This is the thing I don't understand; I've never, ever used a solid background. I have thousands of files that cause me misery everytime I open them. Going forwards I want to make sure I have the thing set up correctly so that it doesn't happen again.

Should it be a set up in the templates or in the settings properties?

Siemens Phenom

Graham,

Are you the only user?

Are your template files set with a solid background?  If so, this would then populate as solid into all new files created.

Are you doing a lot of Save As operations from older files?  If so, and the older files have solid backgrounds then your new Save As files will have solid backgrounds.

So your question "Should it be a set up in the templates or in the settings properties?" the answer is "yes!".  Both places should be set with gradient backgrounds.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Dave

Single user, own workstation. This is why  I don't get how this has changed...

Siemens Phenom

Then how are your template files set up?  With gradient or solid backgrounds?

If you are using our out-of-the-box provided templates, our default templates come with the solid background set in the file.  You will need to open each template file and manually set each template file to have a gradient background.

Gradient background as a user setting does *not* override solid background when solid is set in the file.

Siemens Phenom

Also, you state that you have thousands of files exhibiting this behaviour but not all files exhibit  this behaviour?  So after you set a file to gradient background, does it then remain as gradient for subsequent opens?

When up open one of these files that has a solid background, what is the last modified date on that file before you save and make any changes?  Do other files with this solid background also have last modified dates in a similar range?  Can you determine a common factor about these files with solid backgrounds compared to files with gradient backgrounds i.e. they were all created in a certain time frame or on a certain version?

Bottom line, if your template files are saved with gradient backgrounds and your user setting is set to a gradient background, then any new files created will display a gradient background. 

There is no way to force older files with solid backgrounds to automagically open with gradient background.