Re: Bad user interface

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Alessandro I agree with you on your P.S. statement about the new UI.  Make sure you are running the latest maintenance patch because they have put out a few fixes to improve it's responsiveness.  Not saying it's totally fixed, but much better than MP0.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Builder
Builder
Yes, I'm already using MP7 on W7-x64.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

For rounding try setting face priority in the select tool (Ctrl+SpaceBar) then Features Tab and Round command.

Feature Callout?

FeatureCallout.png

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com
Highlighted

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Alessandro

i have seen that You also are using ST9.

So please keep in mind, that YOu will be able to save certain settings for dimensions and use them instantly during dimensioning.

So if You want, You can save Your thread settings under the name thread and just use them.

Simple and fast.

Nevertheless I don't understand why You will not us the Feature Callout functionallity.

If Your indent will be to show only the Thread Size then just change it to show only thread size.

It is on You  which dimenions You want to show.

And You also can define several standards (user standards) to have both of them, full thread info or size only

I will create sample pictures later on

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi 

and here are the pictures I promised to send:

Using Saved PrefixUsing Saved PrefixUsing Format Style with Size only definedUsing Format Style with Size only definedFormat Style for both Size and DepthFormat Style for both Size and Depth

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Alessandro

OK let's talk about the second issue. Rounds and Chamfers.

What I can see when watching Your video is, that You - and this is my personal preferenced methode -  should more use the Double-Click

This speeds up Your entrance into the part mode from assembly - Double-Click the part

And then when creating the rounds and chamfers use the RightMouseButton to finalize the steps.

You first select an edge or a chain or a surface or all edges, enter the wanted round radius and confirm this with an Enter, or the green sign or with a simple RightMouseButton Click.

And this RMB or ENter should be done twice.

Why, After selecteing the first group of edges with the first value of radius You can do it again for another set of edges with a different radius, and so on.

This is what I call the expert mode of rounding, but IMHO should not be used as long as people afterwards are not able to see immediately what was done.

OK, will save this post now and will continue with Your next issue in a couple of minutes.

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Alessandro

next topic is Cross Section View.

What I have seen in Your video is that You have used the Set Plane Cutting View rather than the Section View

What I have done many years ago was, that I already have created ection Views for the base planes, so that they are within my templates and therefore in every single 3D document I'm creating.

So You only have to turn on or off them without any need for additional steps and clicks

If You will need additional sections - even non linear - then You simply draw the section elements and use thme.

I do not see there to much effort.

And with Synchronous You also have the Live Sections which are much easier to create, to change and to use.

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Alessandro

issue 4, taking a measurment

And why are You using the old measurment function rather than the new (ST7) Measure function?

20170619_1932.PNG

This measure will give You all wanted information and I think the way it shows it to You isn't to bad.

Here a similar situation to Your example

20170619_1937.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend
@Alessandro, I also agree with PS. I used V14-V18 and then went away to other things (including time in SW and Inventor) came back into SE at ST6 and I too found it painful. I still struggle sometimes with doing something I know I can do, only to remember that the "muscle memory" for an operation is from a previous program.
To nail down the list of operations that are far from optimal is tough. Everyone has a different style. There are many lists around of pet-peeves or GUI ERs but they all tend to be a bunch of tiny problems. Task committees want to deal with singular, well defined, solvable problems that they can knock off the list opposed to swatting down a thousand little nuisance issues. Dealing with a thousand little issues tends to be cumulative, "death by a million paper-cuts" or something like that I've heard. Maybe a horrible metaphor, but in a different discipline I heard it related to camping in the wilderness of Canada; the black bear can be a significant threat and a straightforward target to deal with, the ten billion mosquitoes on the other hand can be just as harmful or lethal, but are much harder target to zero in on.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Legend
Legend
Totally agree on many features where you have to do a preview before apply. Sometimes you can right click to jump to the next step but often times not.