Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balloon item numbers linked to BOM should be grayed out - they are not

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I was checking a drawing to ensure the other person tied the balloons to the BOM properly.  Typically, when the balloons are tied to the BOM, the item number and quantity fields are grayed out.  In the attached picture, you can see that the quantitiy is grayed out but the item number is not.  It can be manually edited to another number which I don't want.   It seems there is a manual override somewhere that I can't find.  I've used a manual override in the past to rearrange item numbers in the BOM, but the balloon item number should not be editable if it's tied to the BOM.

Balloon item number.JPG 

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
5 REPLIES

Re: Balloon item numbers linked to BOM should be grayed out - they are not

Gears Phenom

So I found one thing of interest - if you change the item number in the balloon, the BOM item number will change.  I don't recall this being in previous revisions.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I messed with this a little. There seems to be a new feature in the settings for assemblies. Checking it locks the item number if you also check the box for the bom properties under options. 2nd pic.
Don't know if this helps you but I learned something.

itemnos.JPG

itemnos2.JPG

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Phenom

Hi Bruce,

Item numbers is not available in the options.  I'm running ST10.

Options.JPG

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Me too. The first photo is in the assembly  environment. The second photo is in the draft environment.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Betreff: Balloon item numbers linked to BOM should be grayed out - they are not

Hi @kjoiner

Hi @bshand

the possibility to maintain item numbers from the assembly was introduced to Solid Edge with version ST3 (v103)

Since this time You can define item numbers in assembly and use them for several drafts to keep the same item number per part.

And the old method of changing the item balloon number with associative update in BOM IMHO is there from the very first version of Solid Edge, long before the option to change it in BOM table was there.

I remember that this was the only way to modify an item number, long before any other method was available.

I even - and others too - have written macros to change the item numbers from a table view to better see what YOu are doing.

regards
Wolfgang