Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ballooning quantity of hardware on part vs entire count

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello,

When ballooning an assembly drawing, I want to get input on how others handle the quantity.  For example, I have a part that uses qty=4 washers and qty=4 screws.  On the BOM, there is a total of 60 washers and 60 screws used in other places.  My technique is to turn off the item count button and enter the quantity manually.  Does anyone have a different method?

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
9 REPLIES

Re: Ballooning quantity of hardware on part vs entire count

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I don't know of any automated method to get localized counts on items.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Phenom

Hi Bruce,

I didn't think so.  I've heard mention of it in previous SE Univerity discusssions.  The trick is to indicate what you want localized (I like your term for that).  One concept that comes to mind is using the group tool in the Pathfinder tree.  It's great for orgainzing hardware with the component its attached to. Maybe a future enhancement would be to have some type of check box that tells SE you want the hardware to have localized counts when grouped with the component their constrained to in the assembly.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Legend
Legend

Due to the design of our models being semi-master model in nature we have named all of the bolting for its location as such.

STUD_CF_BB.PAR

NUT_CF_BB.PAR

STUD_LF_CF.PAR

NUT_LF_CF.PAR

STUD_LL_CF.PAR

NUT_LL_CF.PAR

We fill in the title part of the part fields with the actual bolting information to be used for the bom. With this setup the bom does not combine all like bolt and nut sizes which is desireable as we use this to indicate the number of bolting per location.

@nanan00  Seems like this would reek havoc with any kind of standardized hardware library and would greatly increase the size of the database. If I understand what you mean. Do you create uniquely named fasteners for all assemblies?

Bruce Shand

@kjoiner, I think I like that group link idea.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend
Our products don't usually have many bolt locations, 7-8 in most jobs.
We tried doing it with standard parts but due to using half a dozen different bolting specs ended up with a huge and rather bad library of non-standard parts.

We ended up working it out like this, parts that go to the customer are job specific and testing equipment that we keep is all standardized.

If we had some sort of document control system the standardized parts would be a much easier thing but management has been very against it, its time and money they don't want to spend... yea that type...

Hi @kjoiner

Hi @nanan00,

You can use the new Occurency Properties for indicating different usage of one and the same bolts.

This info and difference again can be used in the BOM for grouping and counting!

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend
Can you make them different materials or specs also?

Gears Phenom

@hawcad - Interesting idea.  I'll have to think that one through.

@nanan00 - We use have standard hardware we use.  Different materials or other specs are used based on required design performance.  All of our hardware has our part numbers assigned.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1