Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Basic model management

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

So my confusion is simply the terms.

Construction switch= higher level on/off in Occurrence properties (Right?)

Reference switch = what?

I will have to give the software credit. This is my first major terms/label confusion other than how they use the word "Adjustable". With Autodesk the terms are crazy.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

from help

Siemens Documentation <script src="/tdoc/js/common.js;jsessionid=D4F35D858ABCAFA94276DFA7BB13C7BA" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/data_services/resources/se/108/se108-se_help-en_US/js/displayConditions.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script id="customScript" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/tdoc/tdoc_client/tdoc_client.nocache.js;jsessionid=D4F35D858ABCAFA94276DFA7BB13C7BA" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="http://lmdbuild/tdoc/tdoc_client/8EF516683992E27C868D0C9081B32DD6.cache.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript">// // TODO: put these variables in a Json Object var product="se"; var version="108"; var deliverableId="se108-se_help-en_US"; var resourceUrl="/data_services/resources"; var contextPath="/tdoc"; var xAppPrefix=""; // </script>

Selectable

Controls whether the occurrence can be selected in the graphic window. When you set the Selectable option to No for an occurrence, you can still select it in PathFinder.

Higher Level

Specifies that the occurrence will be displayed when the current assembly is used in a higher level assembly. When set to No, the occurrence is not displayed in higher level assemblies and is not included in parts list in the when the higher level assembly is placed in a draft document.

A component is set to a construction component by setting the occurrence property Higher Level to No.

For a construction component, the occurrence is only loaded and shown when the assembly that the component resides in is opened. If a higher level assembly is opened, the assembly component is not loaded nor displayed in Assembly PathFinder in those occurrences.

By not showing the construction components in lower assemblies, this functionality reduces the loading of components when in-place activating and working in the context of a higher level assembly. Previously the construction parts were loaded but not displayed.

If an assembly containing a construction component is in-place activated, the component occurrence will show as an unloaded component in PathFinder and will have to explicitly loaded the component if needed.

Reference

Specifies that the occurrence is displayed as a reference part in a drawing view. Reference parts in drawing views are displayed using a different style.

Assembly Reports

Specifies that the occurrence will be included in reports generated for the assembly, such as bills of material and parts list.

Drawing Views

Specifies that the occurrence will be displayed in drawing views created of the assembly in the Draft environment.

Physical Properties

Specifies that the occurrence will be included in physical property calculations of the assembly.

Interference Analysis

Specifies that the occurrence will be included in interference analysis calculations of the assembly.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

It's "Draft Refence" now, used to be "Reference". But, yeah, good help reference.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Ok so:

Referance = the "Draft Reference" switch in occurance properties

Construction = the "Higher level" switch in occurance properties

This was all I was asking.

Thanks all.

Actually in all the years I used "Next Level" or "Higher Level" I never referred to it or heard it referred to by colleagues as "Construction". Now I know.

I declare this horse officially dead. Agreed?

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius

Sorry to be late to the party, but my question is in terms of workflow is what would the difference be in configuring an assembly by manipulating the Higher Level occurance property vs. An Insert Assembly Copy (IAC) on it to create a second assembly and excluding the parts you don't want to see.

We have been using the IAC method and am intrigued by the Less overhead comment Dan made about using the Higher Level switch.

Dale Smith

Mitsubishi Electric Power Products Inc.

Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST10 MP7 - Insight

Interesting possibility. I would assume you would want to keep it linked. Then the question is how much "drag" the original linked assembly carries with it. I have no idea. 

Have you compared large assembly performance using IAC vs. just inserting the assemblies themselves? I would assume it improves or you wouldn't do it, right?

IAC sounds more akin to simplified assemblies than the higher level switch. Maybe a hybrid of IAC, simplifed, and higher level occurence props or variations thereof would have practical use in certain situations. But if higher level really doesn't carry baggage that would be first for me.

This horse is proving somewhat resilient.

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius

I haven't messed around with testing the impact of a Higher Level switch assembly vs an IAC assembly.  On the surface for me is design intent.  With the 2 assembly file method of a Designed Assembly and then a 2nd IAC assembly with parts excluded, you get to see exactly what you are placing in the next assembly from an end user standpoint.  With the Higher Level method, I'm not quite sure what is the "reference" parts until I place it in the next assembly, unless I am missing something.

Dale

Dale Smith
ST10 MP7 - Insight

I generally use the higher level switch on an assembly which contain(s) assembly(ies) that I only want to appear at that level for reference and don't want them to appear at the next level. Usually because they're already at the next level and would then be nested if they appeared in my lower level assembly and consume processing power.

If I did want them to appear higher but not necessarily complete then I'd consider your approach  if it's faster than configurations would be, or simplification.

I also use higher level for fasteners that don't need to appear higher. Fasteners tend to be numerous and present a lot more faces to process.

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius

Definitely something I am going to look at.  Quick question, do you graphically "mark" a part with the Higher Level Switch in pathfinder on in the display to keep straight what is what?

Dale Smith
ST10 MP7 - Insight