Solved! Go to solution

Beginner. Can't adjust dimension when inserting with Smart Dimension. What have I changed?

[ Edited ]

I've inadvertently changed a setting so that Smart Dimension enters the size of the element selected (in blue), but does not show the text box that allows me to adjust to the correct size.

10 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by dcstaples (Community Manager)
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

If I understand you right, you want the dimension to be r...

If I understand you right, you want the dimension to be red, so you can adjust the value and update the measurements of the element? The padlock button on the bottom left side of your smart dimension toolbar is probably not checked. This is what changes dimensions between Driving dimensions (red, locked, editable by user) and Driven dimensions (blue, unlocked, resultant dimensions only).

It is also possible that your constraints on other elements make it logically impossible to switch a dimension from driven to driving. In this case, you would have to select some other dimensions and uncheck the padlock to change them to driven, THEN go and make the target dimension driving. 

-Dylan Gondyke

Re: If I understand you right, you want the dimension to be r...

The padlock is open, but dim (not active). Nothing happens when I click it.

When the padlock is open, the dimension is blue and driven (a resultant) and you cannot change the dimension. Click the padlock to change the dimension to red, and you will be able to enter values.

If you're trying to drop dimensions on an ordered model, they'll be purple, and you will not be able to change them between driving and driven or change their values. You need to transition your model to synchronous if you want to drive the model off of the dimensions you're placing.
-Dylan Gondyke

Thanks for your help. The model is synchronous. As an example I've drawn a simple line. The dimension is blue. The padlock is open and I can't toggle it. Should be simple

The simple answer then is that the dimension probably cannot be driving (red), because it is logically impossible to do so due to other red dimensions you have already placed. A screenshot or video is really necessary to help you further.
-Dylan Gondyke

I've posted a screen shot (.docx) with the original question. There's only one element in the drawing.

To add: I've noticed that when I click on Smart Dimension and move to the workspace, the Command bar shows an unlocked, but active, padlock. I can then toggle it to closed. But when I click on the element, the padlock opens, goes inactive and the resulting dimension is blue and fixed.

Re: Beginner. Can't adjust dimension when inserting with Smart Dimension. What have I changed?

I am having the same problem. Does anyone know how to fix it? I do not have the option to change the lock. It is greyed out.

Re: Beginner. Can't adjust dimension when inserting with Smart Dimension. What have I changed?

You have probably inadvertantly toggled the "maintain relationships" button off. Make sure at the top of your ribbon bar the button I show here is ON -- (orange).

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development