Beginner: Trouble using dimensions-tool to set locations of hole and cutout

Creator
Creator

Hi, 

I'm trying to set the location of some cutouts and holes by adding dimensions and then setting them to the desired length. This works for some dimensions, but on others it will just go to "not to scale" and I can't lock the dimensions, which is driving me nuts.

I have added a screenshot of one example.

The idea is to set the distance between the cutout and the hole and then the distance between the hole and the edge of the plate, so that I can adjust the location of the cutout and SolidEdge will automatically move the hole and resize the plate.

There is another problem: I have created the cutout by drawing a line and then applying "Symmetric Offset". Now if I try to move the cutout by adjusting the distance to the reference point, it will move the line, but not the cutout.

So, currently this software is just confusing and frustrating me, any help?

8 REPLIES

Re: Beginner: Trouble using dimensions-tool to set locations of hole and cutout

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Solidedge isnt sketch driven. Putting and constraining a sketch wont define your model. you can use geometric constraints but usually live rules are enought to keep your model the way you want. Ill make a video to show you how i would have done this model. 

Creator
Creator
Oh, that would be very nice, thank you Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

(view in My Videos)
Sry i took so long. i had job to do Smiley Happy

Creator
Creator
Thank you very much for the Video, I'll try to build it this way tomorrow, when I'm in the office.

Have you used any special settings for the GUI? It looks quite different. For example: I don't get any popup-toolbars when creating holes. There is just a very small indicator on the far left side that changes to "Holes".

If I recall correctly Solid Edge asked me about the GUI right after the installation and I chose the beginner-friendly version. Sadly it looks a lot different than anything in any tutorial I have tried and seems to be much less responsive. It doesn't even fit the description in the "help" (F1).

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

One thing to add is that working in Ordered mode is sketch driven while Synchronous is not.  There are ways to lock dimensions between faces etc. but sketches are consumed when working in Synchronous.  If you are coming from another package such as SWX, you might find Ordered mode more familiar.  Either way, keep posting questions because there are lots of users here to help.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So, @AlexBergeron, just curious: you don't like the slot feature?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Barfoos,  Depending on your selection of a Theme (Maximum Assistance) when you first started Solid Edge, you might have the Vertical Command Interface docking window instead of the Horizontal Command Interface bar.  That can be changed by using another Theme or by changing the individual option in the Helpers section of the Options.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Creator
Creator

Hello, thank you for your help. Without it I would have probably given up by now and used a pen and paper. Sadly I didn't get very far when trying to follow the video:

I can't reproduce the step in which the cutouts are made symmetric: the small plane centered at the base, which is supposed to be the symmetry plane, doesn't show up. I think it worked once, but since the cutouts were almost symmetric before I applied the command I used redo, moved the cutout, copied it again, and then tried to apply "Symmetry" again, but I cant select the symmetry plane.

I've tried different live rule-settings (I'm using ST7, so I don't have this fancy Design Intent-feature), but that didn't help.

Also, when moving the third cutout and aligning it with the base, the steering wheel should be centered on the cutout. To do that I klick the steering wheel, move the mouse roughly to the center of one of the lines and then try to follow the tooltip, which says I should press K and then M (M for Midpoint), but the steering wheel doesn't really snap to any midpoint.

I'll give it another try tomorrow. maybe I'll even make a video of my failed attempts Smiley Wink

"Barfoos"