Beginner w/ Solid Edge: Need help rotating a part in an assembly

Hi,

I'm very new to Solid Edge and still figuring things out, but this one is giving me some trouble. I'm trying to align two objects, a mirror assembly (plate, holder, mirror) and a translation stage, so that the mirror assembly attaches 30 degress rotated from the stage normal. 

Here's the way I thought to do it: I made a hole in the side of my plate and used an Axial Align to the center hole in the stage. I then tried to use an Angle relationship to rotate the mirror assembly, but I keep getting an error that my measured from  feature (the center of the hole) was not perpendicular to the other two previously defined. This confused me because the hole axis is perpendicular to the side of the mirror assembly. Could anyone help with this? I've attached the file. Hopefully that makes things clearer. 

3 REPLIES

Re: Beginner w/ Solid Edge: Need help rotating a part in an assembly

[ Edited ]

Hi there @Claxton7,

A couple of things.....

Firstly; are you using Student Edition?...if yes, probably better to post at this link here... Student Edition Forum. [files created in an academic version, cannot be opened in a commercial version of Solid Edge]

Secondly; to share an assembly, you will also neeed to post the part files for the assembly to be opened as you see it, by anyone else on here.....in order to help you further.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thanks! I'll do both of those!

In general you need to think about 3D modeling a bit different than 2D drafting.

I bring in copies of parts by drag and drop of windows explorer.

Once you have a new object to rotate, there are two ways I do it (I'm sure there are others)

1. use mates. in general, the first piece of the model is grounded (cant move) and the rest of the model is built up with relations to the first part or any planes in the assembly.

2. use the stearing wheel. if you want free from placement, that is easiest.

Now lets say you want a place a part based on the geometry of other parts. Sometimes you have to draw a sketch to have the geometry to locate the part. The include command to me is the core of relations between parts and sketches.

This assumes you are working in Ordered vs. Sync. I personally don't like Sync and I would not recomend using it as you get started. However, many here love sync and would not use SE any other way.

To get started with the software, I used a pay site for basic tutorials. After about 10 hours of following tutorials, This forums and help file have been the best help.